OEM Waterpump vs British Atlanta/ProFlow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugmw177

Reaction score
outsourcing mfg of stuff like this to certain nations is going to yield such results; however, i would expect LR to cull the poor examples prior to selling through dealers. It appears that is not the case anymore.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my old leaking rear pipe. You can see the orange coolant traces coming out between the seams and then a pic of the new pipe where the seams don't look that great

3yhl1oq.jpg

haYIVwx.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would LR give 2 poops about crossovers in a vehicle it last sold 8 years ago? They are not going to put time or effort into addressing it. You are on your own my friend.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
OEM all the way.

I have now completed the F/R rossover project on 2 of my 3 LR4's.
3rd one, 2015, now at 42K miles.
Failure on the 2016 was the front crossover on the left hand side, inside the block. Was not leaking, just good timing.
Failure on the 2013 was the o-ring on the oil cooler tube where it went into the water pump. It was clearly labeled Ford. The new design is much more robust.

When I did the 2016 I investigated the aluminum front crossovers. They were actually here in Houston.
Let'd just say that I went with the OEM plastic, I did not like what I was seeing in the aluminum aftermarkets.
Maybe newer ones are better?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you missed the point.
I am not asking for continuous engineering improvement.
I am describing that an oem replacement part needs to meet qa standards.

You will be lucky if they supply parts at all 8 years out (11 years on the V8s). Many parts become NLA at less time than this. No money in in keeping old stuff on the road..

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys mean actual Land Rover branded (Often referred to as Genuine)parts when referring to OEM?

I've had other OEM (not Genuine) cooling system parts fail prematurely on my L322 (M62) then when I replaced the OEM parts with Genuine BMW parts, I had no issues. So I now only use BMW and Land Rover Genuine parts in the cooling system.

I actually measured the thickness of the o-rings in some of the OEM cooling system hoses when they failed in my L322 (M62) against the 6 year old Genuine BMW o-rings in the old hoses that I pulled off ( I keep some parts as spares for emergency), there was a difference. I then pulled the 6 year old o-rings out of the old hoses, then put them in the 1 year old OEM hoses that failed to get me going until new BMW hoses arrived. That, and an OEM fan clutched that failed prematurely, have me now buying Genuine LR and BMW cooling parts.

I think there is a difference.

Last edited:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys mean actual Land Rover branded (Often referred to as Genuine) parts when referring to OEM?

I think there is a difference.
You are correct.

OE / Genuine means parts sold by a dealership, branded as LandRover.

OEM may or may not be the same thing. OEM means it's the same manufacturer that produces the OE part, sometimes with the JLR or FoMoCo logo ground off. However, these could be items that failed to meet OE/Genuine quality specs, that the mfr feels are still acceptable to sell via aftermarket channels at a lower cost. So rather than scrap them, they may sell as "OEM" through aftermarket channels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AllOverinmyRover