How long did/should your brake pads last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my first set of brake pads at 41.5K. Its in the shop for something else and I asked them to check the pads. They said I'd get a brake light soon, but I should be okay for a couple thousand miles.

Just wondering if 41.5K is long or short for the average LR3. Which will help me decide if I should just ask them to put the pads on now while its in the shop. (as it'll be a pain if the light goes on in 500 miles and i have to bring it back!)

Then again...it'd be my first car with a warning light for pads instead of just a high pitched screech! How long do you have after that light comes on?

thanks!

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We see 20-30K up here in Colorado Springs. Of course we have very few flat spots, so there is a lot of hill driving.

As for the light, that is a last ditch indicator, it is only on one side, and if one side wears faster than the one with the sensor, well, that light may come on a little to late.

Break wear is really tough to eyeball as to how far they will go. New pads (and probably rotors), will stop better, and you have the peice of mind that you don't have to wonder when the light will pop on, will you have time to take it in etc.

I'd err on the safety side and just do it. But that's just me.

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say you're doing very well. I just had all pads replaced at my 22,500 mile service. They had been squealing for a few thousand miles, which I assume was the wear indicator.

The service manager told me that I actually got more mileage out of my first set of brake pads than most customers. He said the average for what he sees is 15,000 miles. That sounds very low, but with all the other LR3 issues combined with the weight of the vehicle, I'm not too surprised. Also, I'm in Los Angeles, so stop-and-go traffic is the norm.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 40k miles, you are doing exceptionally well. Are you using some sort of parachute to decelerate?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, took the advice and had them replaced while it was in the dealership. Likely could have gotten it done cheaper...but, it was there, I had a loaner car already, and they did it quick. No rotors or turning needed. Said everything was in spec so they just put on the pads and sensors. Another shop may have whacked me for the rotors and it could have cost the same, eh?

I am probably an easy on the brakes driver...i'll accelerate fast, but i usually don't brake unless i have to and on the highway i'm one of those who will decelerate more by just using the cruise control minus button, or cancel, then I will by braking. Always drives me crazy when i get stuck behind one of those constantly on/off the brake drivers! But for whatever reason, yeah, i'll be thankful if i'm just lucky. Appreciate the feedback.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24K here. 40K is amazing. You must drive traffic free highways all the time. :)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. Delayed posting.

Last edited:

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only made it 23k. Clean off loads of brake dust with every wash... :hmpf:

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my pads at 17k miles, but I did it prior to the warning light. I had a local shop replace the pads and at 30k miles still looking fine. You've done well with that mileage considering the weight of the vehicle.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my first set of brake pads and rotors at 40k. I suspect my cruise control buttons will wear out soon, however......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024