So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% the Land Cruiser is the way I'm going. I've got a deposit on one but it has yet to arrive (will probably be here within the next week).

If not a Land Cruiser, then maybe a Defender? Not sure.

Right now, though, I am vehicleless.

Interesting. I had planned for a Lexus GX550 to replace the LR4 but was kind of under whelmed when I saw one in the flesh. I was also considering a Landcruiser. Have not driven either. At the moment the vehicle appealing to me the most new is a Defender 110 but have concerns regarding the swing out tire etc. I have now started eying up LX570s which is as close to a 200 series Landcruiser we can get up here in Canada..

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing about the Land Cruiser is that I can probably just buy it, drive it for a year, then sell it for not much loss (if any at all) if I decide it's not for me.

One of the local dealers I reached out to a month or two ago (and who told me they were sold out) hit me up again last week to see if I was still interested. After I pressed them if they have any available now, they told me their wait list was up to a year.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I had planned for a Lexus GX550 to replace the LR4 but was kind of under whelmed when I saw one in the flesh. I was also considering a Landcruiser. Have not driven either. At the moment the vehicle appealing to me the most new is a Defender 110 but have concerns regarding the swing out tire etc. I have now started eying up LX570s which is as close to a 200 series Landcruiser we can get up here in Canada..

Curious what you didn't like about the GX? Interior?

I've looked at a few Defenders. I really dig the exterior style, but I just keep thinking that the interior has a lot of plastic for a car that very quickly gets to 100K.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Octa is going to be over $200k. Redic.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what you didn't like about the GX? Interior?

I've looked at a few Defenders. I really dig the exterior style, but I just keep thinking that the interior has a lot of plastic for a car that very quickly gets to 100K.

You just described a GX. It may have been in a low spec one but there was a lot of plastic. The windshield was small with thick A pillars so big vertical blind spots. It's hard to describe but the old GX interior while dated felt more premium. The rear hatch with the seperate moving glass felt chintzy compared to even the LR4. Perhaps just an odd first impression. Dealer claims 2-3 year wait list so a moot point.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Octa is going to be over $200k. Redic.
@ryanjl , I always appreciated your input. I too am sorry to see you go.
I don’t disagree with you on the price, and yet that crowd that likes the G-Wagon (not that I want that stigma) thinks it doesn’t cost enough…. And I’m sure the greedy at LR HQ are thinking about that.
FWIW, I had an excellent full day at the Land Rover Experience, in Manchester VT, last fall. All the time spent in the new Defender P400. And with my military driving experience, the world class instructor pushed the limits with me. Let’s just say when the LR4 gives up the ghost, I know where I’m going. But wonder what would be the cost of substituting a tailgate, lol.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would break down and get the Defender with the V8. Even though its unibody, there is a lot going for it. I'm waiting for year 2032 before I plan to revisit what vehicle I want. By that time I hope people have put miles on the Defender chassis and start talking about how it holds up to traditional body on frame design over time. Jeep had a unibody SUV (Cherokee?) and it did fine off-road. People love those rigs to this day and run them hard and also overland in them. They are a favorite.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was 80% sure I was going to get a Defender a few months ago, but then the Land Cruisers started popping up on the Youtube car review sites and I started liking them more than the Defender.

That, and there are a few other things that put me off of the Defender.

First, is how big of a PITA it is to get a wheel/tire combo I'd want. The 4 cyl can fit 18" wheels standard, but a lot of people think the 4 cyl is underpowered off road. The 6 cyl has more power, but it's a much more complex engine and you have to swap out the rear brake calipers to get 18" wheels to fit.

And no matter what vehicle you go with, you can't fit tires much bigger than what can fit on an LR4 without taking a cutting disc to the Defender wheel wells.

Another thing made me shy away from the Defender. I had been looking at the ownership experience on the Land Rover World forum. For those who've been here a bit, Umberto used to be a frequent LR4 poster here but when he sold his LR4 and bought a Defender, he moved to that other forum because this site was too slow in getting a new Defender subforum. Umberto had modded his Defender and was loving it until one day someone rear ended him on the highway.

You can see the damage there. Doesn't look too severe. But it wound up totalling the vehicle.

For some reason, that turned me off of them a bit, and made me want to stick with a body-on-frame vehicle for a bit longer.

I've always been somewhat brand agnostic. I've owned four Jeeps, four Land Cruisers, and two Land Rovers. I like to mix things up. The Land Cruiser should be fun.

I've already dusted off my account at IH8Mud (created that account in 2003) and have been posting there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tamjam