How long did/should your brake pads last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimLR3

Reaction score
+40K is good, it is a heavy vehicle. I changed mine at 36k. still had plenty of wear left on them. However, I did not want the indicator to trigger. Since I was replacing them myself I did not want to deal with replacing the wear indicator, it looked tricky reconnecting the wear indicator up inside the wheel well.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anybody's wear indicator ever worked? I've had 5 of these things and never seen "the light"

sgregg67

Reaction score
I had mine changed at 15.5K. I also didn't see the warning light - just got a call from the dealer when it was in for the 15K service.

funkeruski

Reaction score
My LR3 has been making awful brake noise since about 15000 miles. I took it in and they said I still have a couple months of brake life left, but that it would cost 1200 to change the barke pads/rotors when that time comes. Does this work require any special technical expertise or could a reputable non-Land-Rover service outfit do this work? I only want to do it at the dealership (and pay a dealership price) if I have to.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely take this job to a third party Land Rover shop....but it won't be much cheaper. The pads alone are nearly $400. You will need to make sure the mechanic orders and replaces the sensors as also (they just snap in).

funkeruski

Reaction score
Thanks NW. The LR service manager said they would do it for 1K, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and do that.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
atlantic british has the front and rear OEM pads for $175 and a complete rebuild kit with discs for $339. And I doubt you need the rotors. They will talk you into it b/c they apparently make $641 for an hour or less of work so.....
By the way the sensors are $17.00 on AB.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
atlantic british has the front and rear OEM pads for $175 and a complete rebuild kit with discs for $339. And I doubt you need the rotors. They will talk you into it b/c they apparently make $641 for an hour or less of work so.....
By the way the sensors are $17.00 on AB.

Wow. That's pretty good.

Cost me $600 to get front and rear pads/sensors installed. (no rotor work)

b757236

Reaction score
I just replaced rotors and pads on my 05 LR3 at 50K miles. The front pads were very thin. The sensor became active everytime we hit the brakes. The rear pads were 40%. The rotors were 40% all around. The brake job was very easy. I ordered the full brake kit from atlantic british and did the job myself for $350. 4 hours time with one jack. Land Rover wanted $1500 for parts and labor.

Adam

Last edited:

RovinAlong

Reaction score
I just replaced rotors and pads on my 05 LR3 at 50K miles. The front pads were very thin. The sensor became active everytime we hit the brakes. The rear pads were 40%. The rotors were 40% all around. The brake job was very easy. I ordered the full brake kit from atlantic british and did the job myself for $350. 4 hours time with one jack. Land Rover wanted $1500 for parts and labor.

Adam

Did you go with the all Genuine Parts kit or the third-part rotors kit from Atlantic British?
One is like $489.95 (all Genuine Parts) and the other is $359.95.

Thx.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024