Spark Plugs & wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elfrey

Reaction score
Follow-up...

I change the plugs last night, not a big project. Total time spend was about 1.5 hours. I would recommend that you have a universal joint attachment for your socket wrench as there are a few plugs in really tight spots, I didn't have one. This would have reduced my time by at least .5 hours.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed mine yesterday along with the oil in the engine, transfer case, and front/rear differentials. Access to the plugs is greatly enhanced if in addition to removing the engine cover you also remove the heat shield on the left side (one screw, pull up to release two snaps). On the right side, remove the air box cover, the next black piece of plastic in the intake (captive screws on air box, two hose clamps on intake pipes, release wiring from MAF sensor) , release the heater hoses from the plastic clamps and remove just the screws securing the the black flat topped valve on the valve cover.

Make sure you have a spark plug socket with a good rubber plug retainer and a selection of extensions and universal joints. I found that while on the right side the combination of extensions that loosened that plug was also enough to extract the plug, not so on the left side. I needed to disassemble the tools as the plug was withdrawn because there isn't much room before you hit the side of the black box holding the brake works.

All told, this took about five hours and about $300.00 worth of parts and fluids.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult is the diff and transfer fluid change?

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not difficult at all. You will need allen key headed sockets to remove the filler plugs and the transfer case drain plug and you may need the big mother of all allen keys to remove the differential drain plugs. You would be wise to crawl under the rear end and you can easily see the rear drain plug and determine the tool needed OR you can wait to you have all ready started the job, are covered with road dirt, realize that you don't have the correct tool and decide to use the universal nut wrench, vice grips! You will also need a transfer pump to get the oil from the quart containers into the fill orifice and a lot of shop rags. Expect to spill a fair amount of oil on the ground.

There is another thread that I started that has the instructions and the oil specs.

PeterE

Reaction score
I'm replacing my 05 LR3 V8 SE spark plugs right now (E3's for those interested) and am not sure what the torque spec is for this rig/brand or if it's even an issue? I haven't seen anyone comment on that part of the job in this or other threads so I'm hoping "nice and snug" is the correct torque spec.

Anyone have a comment?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90