Spark Plugs & wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elfrey

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions for replacing spark plugs and wires on a V8. I have an 2005 LR3 SE with 103000 miles, it's probably time to replace these items. I am planning to use Bosch 4417 plugs, can anyone suggest a set of wires?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done wires and plugs on that engine, lots of Discos, Defenders and Classics though. I would use a set of 8 mm Magnacors with your engine. I have a set that are 7 years old with no loose of spark or misfires.
Shout if you have any questions.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions for replacing spark plugs and wires on a V8. I have an 2005 LR3 SE with 103000 miles, it's probably time to replace these items. I am planning to use Bosch 4417 plugs, can anyone suggest a set of wires?

The 4.4 is a coil on plug setup. No plug wires.... I only have 53k on mine so I haven't changed the plugs yet but when I do it will be with a stock plug or equal. I figure the engine was designed with that plug in mind and thats the way I'll keep it. (Not sure what the stock plugs are though)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure glad you mentioned that, I forgot that minor fact.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs are NGK ifr5n10.I just replaced all 8 of them at 72.000 miles.A lots of black misfire spots on them .i went with the same brand since they are recommended, only the premium version.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs are NGK ifr5n10.I just replaced all 8 of them at 72.000 miles.A lots of black misfire spots on them .i went with the same brand since they are recommended, only the premium version.
How was the install? Looks like a lot of shop time is required per the sources I checked.

Was there easy access or did you need to pull anything out of the way? Sorry for the basic questions, I haven't honestly looked under the hood yet to estimate a DIY on this. But I've done plugs many times before on other vehicles, usually a simple process (as long as you don't drive a Porsche!)

Is there a torque specification?

Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the install? Looks like a lot of shop time is required per the sources I checked.

Was there easy access or did you need to pull anything out of the way? Sorry for the basic questions, I haven't honestly looked under the hood yet to estimate a DIY on this. But I've done plugs many times before on other vehicles, usually a simple process (as long as you don't drive a Porsche!)

Is there a torque specification?

Just below the engine cover on each side there is a snap in cover over the plugs. Just pull. There is a bolt securing each coil that will need to be removed and then you can pull the coil off . After that you should see the plug. Really no more difficult then any other modern V8...

elfrey

Reaction score
okay, signed up ($14/day) to www.landrovertechinfo.com and looked up the spark plug replacement, says to remove the engine cover (oil filler cap & 4 clips holding it in place), and the ignition coil cover ( 2 clips) which is the same place that you would have a valve cover on a conventional V8, remove the ignition coils and replace spark plugs. I am still going to try the Bosch spark plugs as I already purchased them. If I have any issues I'll get the NGK's which is the brand I would have normally used. I'll let you know how long the job takes after it finished, probably work on it next week.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I was going through the maintenance schedules for the LR3 and noticed the 2005 one said the spark plugs should be changed at 90k. The 06-08 LR3 guide said the plugs should be changed at 105k. Any reason for the change? Thorgal, any reason you changed them early?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes , I had good reason to check them out since check engine light appeared twice within one month , also reduced engine performance message was present , at first pupping up separately, than last month ,along with amber engine light .Some wise ,experienced individual suggested, after I have my codes read at local Auto Zone, that I should start with checking an air filter,duct system,throttle body and spark plugs . It turned out to be a good call on spark plugs as they ware all burned out with black rings and simply no good.that is why i have changed them so early as well as Diff.oils and T-case oil,not subject related , but well worthy since T-case oil was particularly bad.I am gonna drive a few thousand miles,some off road and change this oil again on synthetic this time.The good news is :no more check engine light .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink