Roto flex to U-joint & diff slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a 95 D1 5-speed will going to a real rear U joint over the Roto joint remove some of the driveline jerking or rubberness (new word) in the lower gears like 3rd at 20 mph in town? I know the diffs have alot of slack which was there from new, is this between spiders and side gears? U-joints, slip splines are tight like new.

N

NHESS81

I dont think it will...I am needing to replace my rotoflex, and id rather just spend the 60 bux for that, rather than 700 for a new rear drive shaft personally. The slack is a little annoying, i try to avoid it as much as possible by easing into and out of the throttle, but yeah...as far as I know, the 'rubberness' is probably coming out of T/C and gearbox rather than sloppy rotation of the driveshafts...

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $268 for a brand new rear driveshaft with a U joint a few years ago on sale. I just haven't installed it as the D1 has been parked for 19 months, wife refuses to drive a unsafe vehicle ( ABS went off and she curb crashed) couldn't stop. That was better than killing 8 year olds at the school crossing.
Back to subject, 90% of the driveline slop is in the diffs not trans and t/c.

R

rsrichie

I have a vibration that kicks in at about 95km/h and increases with intencity the higher the speed. I have replaced the axle bearings f and r, the front CV's , the shocks and springs and put new tyres on and had it aligned and balanced but still this vibration. the vibration isnt as bad if you are going up a hill when the drivline is under load and when you are coasting down a hill with no throttle input it is perfect at all speeds but when you are at cruising speed with light throttle input it is frightning. I checked the uni's and they appear and feel good and solid in their movement. So could it be this Roto joint how can i tell or is it likley to be something else. Help please loosing hair and sleep

N

NHESS81

The rotoflex is a ********* rubber disk on the rear end of the rear driveshaft---before it connects to the rear differential...it is termed 'worn out' when you can see cracks in the surface--I have a 97 Disco with 110,000m and my roto is very cracked, I have just not gotten around to replacing it, but I will soon, and I really dont get much vibration except for maybe at 50-55 but then its done...

If anyone has a u-joint rear driveshaft, let us know, I think Joey does, my only reason for not doing it is cost right now...

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be converted, too. I saw it somewhere and looked into buying a junked rear driveshaft and modifying it so my truck wasn't offline, but kept putting it off....

R

rsrichie

do the tail shafts go out of balance much as other than the rotoflex i cant think of what else this might be.
I forgot to mention previously if it makes any differance the vehicle is a 96.5 Discovery V8 Auto and is stock.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo