Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://s377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/rogenski/LR3%20Thermostat%20Replacement/?albumview=slideshow

Link to my photobucket slideshow for this procedure.

30 minutes is the right time estimate. That included coaching my 13 year old son through the process and showing hinm what various components there were underhood. Hardest part is squeezing the thermostat in and out. You have to compress the spring and twist the tabs on the thermostat to line up with the tabs on the housing. The springs really don't want to be compressed far enough to make it easy.

You'll need a 6mm socket for the engine cover and an 8mm socket or wrench for the 3 thermostat housing bolts. You will loose coolant.

Three things to note when I pulled this apart:

1) the coolant in the hoses looked dirty/oily, but when I dipped a shop towel in, the coolant appeared normal. I am guessing that the hoses just were making it appear discolored.

2) the lowest bolt had some minor corrsion on it, and it sits below the throttle body pre-heater. No evidence of a leak other than that, but it probably was/is leaking very slowly.

3) the seal on the thermostat itself was damaged. My son said it looked like it melted. It was pull off of the metal disk, and even when I pulled it back together, the seal was loose. I'm pretty confident that was the problem.

Good luck!

larlr3

Reaction score
thanks for the most detailed explanation. I had intended on posting pictures for others but I see I won't need to. I have ordered the part along with the seal. I am looking forward to changing the thermostat.

Thanks again!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, very well done Rogo! It's good to see we have a lot of DIY'ers here!!

J.D.

larlr3

Reaction score
I got my thermostat from British Atlantic, got it changed today. My total cost including the O-ring, shipping, and a 10% discount was $37.09. The pictures from the previous post made it super easy. The total time was about 30 minutes. The toughest part was removing the springed part itself. It takes a bit of work to push it and turn it. The seal on the thermostat did indeed look like it was melted and was causing the thermostat to stay open. When I pulled it open it was open and not sealing hence the code. It is good to know the codes are reliable. I took picures if anyone is interested. Thanks alot for the help! :)
the money I saved will now go toward some new tires.

f1loco

Reaction score
Ok swapping mine out today. Problem, when I went to undo the old one, wasn't expecting the tension and it all went flying. Trying to assemble new one correctly? Help?

I think it is small spring, large side up, then the little ****** on the top of the thermostat shaft, followed by the big spring under and the retaining piece then that locks underneath the big spring? Anyone? Just not sure on the small spring and the ****** placement...

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pictures from post 21 don't tell you what you need to know? Sorry, I haven't done it myself so I can't really help you confidently.

J.D.

larlr3

Reaction score
LR3 2005 thermostat

Hey,
I will locate my pictures and help you. I changed mine recently. You can call me tonight if you wish. 828-684-7855. I can send you pictures or try to post them in picasa as I don't think we can post pictures on this forum.?

Walt Niehoff

Reaction score
LR3- Engine light/Thermostat replacement

My 2007 LR3 "check engine light came on recently at 54,900 miles, then self cleared a day later, a week later it came on again for good. I took it in to the dealership, which took 1 hour diagnosing this, discovering I needed a new thermostat. The part cost was $34 (reasonable) PLUS 1.7 hours of labor!! Total bill $434.00!!! From reading these posts, I think I got taken in a big way...any thoughts of recourse? If it takes everyday non-mechanic folks 30 minutes to replace it, then why did it take a certified LR mechanic 1.7 hours plus 1 hour of diagnostic time to identify and fix the problem??
Thanks!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could simply call and complain and tell them how you disagree with the charges, but it's my guess it's a standard time regardless of how long the mechanic takes.

My other advice is to take your rig someplace where they can read the codes for you, like Autozone, and get as educated as possible before you take it into the dealer. This site is a good source of info as well as a few others.

J.D.

Gomie

Reaction score
i have a 2005 lr3 v8 SE, just had this issue show up in the past 2-3 weeks. the check engine light would come on for a couple days then go out, then come on, this is the 4th time it has come on and has been on for 5 days. took it to the auto parts store and same the thermostat/coolant code came up. thanks for everyone's help, ordering parts today, sounds like a simple fix.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis