Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do this this weekend. The code came back yesterday :(

Question - did you replace the seal on the housing? Or is it basically a rubber gasket?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer did mine, but you always replace a seal like that. Cheap insurance if nothing else. Just pay close attention to how the t-stat comes out and make sure you put it back in exactly the same.

J.D.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Thermostat will only fit one way so no worries there. The seal is a rubber o-ring that can be reused, however they are very cheap and I replaced mine while it was apart.

larlr3

Reaction score
The T-stat is super easy to change. Three torx screws (nothing special about em) and pull out the t-stat. Cost me $53 for the stat, seal and landrover coolant from the dealer. The stats aren't sticking open so much as the seal on it fails preventing it from closing completely... Lost minimal coolant, infact I didn't even have to add any so in reality cost was about $30. Just change it for piece of mind. Also I too read my codes at the auto store when it failed. FYI engine codes are part of the OBD2 standard regardless of what make! All makes are all the same so the code is correct!!!!

I am having the exact same code and light issue on my 2005 LR3. I am at 52,000 miles. Can anyone supply pictures and instructions on how to change the thermostat? I would like to change mine. Are there any dangers to not changing it? Do you guys believe it is really stuck open? Sorry for so many questions. I am out of warranty and about to go back to school. I am dreading a breakdown because I won't be able to afford to repair it. I had a 2001 Disco II that drove me crazy. NICE Trucks though.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rogo,
I just saw this thread and I have a question, where did you find that code number, it is not listed in any of my 6 different reference sheets, also there are no connections or way of getting a code from a D2 t/stat or water pump.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please disregard my reply, I was thinking his truck was a D2 and can't figure out how to delete my post.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the exact same code and light issue on my 2005 LR3. I am at 52,000 miles. Can anyone supply pictures and instructions on how to change the thermostat? I would like to change mine. Are there any dangers to not changing it? Do you guys believe it is really stuck open? Sorry for so many questions. I am out of warranty and about to go back to school. I am dreading a breakdown because I won't be able to afford to repair it. I had a 2001 Disco II that drove me crazy. NICE Trucks though.

I don't have pics but you need to remove the engine cover and the t-stat is in a plastic housing right at the front of the engine. You really should change it because the the engine runs differently at lower operating temps. The biggest thing is that it will consume more fuel. From what I saw when I did mine I really doubt the stat is stuck open. There is a rubber seal that is part of the disc that when closed seals off the flow (except for a pinhole in the disc) What I found is the rubber seal starts to peal off and jams under the disc preventing it from closing. It's a cheap fix and will keep you happy.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As I understand it, there is no harm in letting it wait. The condition may or may not be present at all times. The code pops up and the CEL stays lit until you clear the code. The engine MAY run rich in order to come to operating temp faster. That MAY damage your cats with LONG TERM exposure.

I was fortunate that the auto parts store let me take the OBDII reader out myself and it actually had a clear codes function. It is illegal for the store to clear the codes. So I knew that for the most part, the engine was operating normally.

Anyway, do it at you next earliest convenience. I will post pictures after this weekend.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Take a look at the link I posted earlier in the thread. It's pretty detailed and once you remove the engine cover, it'll become obvious what needs to happen.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink