Engine Breaking noise at 60mph on highway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake lock up

It does not sound like your actual breaks (calipers/pads/rotors) are what is locking up, instead I would bet that it is one of your rear parking brake drums/shoes. When I first got my LR3, the right rear kept locking up on the highway (the wheel still turned, just vibrated and smoked and overheated/blued the rotor).... it was because the dealer that had just replaced rear pads had mis-adjusted the parking brake... It was dragging slightly, and that dragging slightly is magnified when on the highway (heat generated) -- then it starts binding/locking up. Characteristic of this is that it goes away when pulling over / cycling the ignition. It sounds exactly like what happened to mine.

I would check this. I ended up getting a new parking brake module and new rear rotors, parking brake drums (inside the rotors) and new parking brake shoes under warranty as a result.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode will not change your final gear ration thru the tranny, it only changes the shift points, based on throttle pressure, that the tranny will change at.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure...but it still results in greater engine braking generally.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does not sound like your actual breaks (calipers/pads/rotors) are what is locking up, instead I would bet that it is one of your rear parking brake drums/shoes. When I first got my LR3, the right rear kept locking up on the highway (the wheel still turned, just vibrated and smoked and overheated/blued the rotor).... it was because the dealer that had just replaced rear pads had mis-adjusted the parking brake... It was dragging slightly, and that dragging slightly is magnified when on the highway (heat generated) -- then it starts binding/locking up. Characteristic of this is that it goes away when pulling over / cycling the ignition. It sounds exactly like what happened to mine.

I would check this. I ended up getting a new parking brake module and new rear rotors, parking brake drums (inside the rotors) and new parking brake shoes under warranty as a result.

Getting LR to admit they made a mistake when they replaced my brakes is going to be fun, but I'll give it a shot. It's really quite annoying. I'm just going to go ahead and get the brake flush to see if that helps, but this sounds like another likely culprit.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake fluid flush

Certainly couldnt hurt to do the brake fluid flush but I seriously doubt that is the problem. That would probably result in greatly reduced breaking power or increased stopping distances, not brakes sticking "on".

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agree with nashvegas, probably the EPB sticking. Here is another similar report from a posting this week: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17811

I used to have this issue occur frequently when driving at highway speeds. After the first major brake job (calipers/rotors), it virtually stopped. Only happened once since.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR says its not that because there's no warning light saying EPB engaged. I think that's probably bunk, but they love to rely on what their sensors say.

It's always been my thought that it was either the EPB or the Downhill Decent Control malfunctioning at speed, but that doesn't mean they know how to fix it. This has been brought up with them several times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib