Stalling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just returned from a great trip - from Chicagoland to DeSmet SD (Laura Ingalls homestead - 9 year old daughter - worth the stop), Badlands, Black Hills, Little Bighorn, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and back home. All told over 3800 miles in 2 weeks.

The truck performed beautifully, towing a 4000 lb camper up thru the hills and mountains. Reached 8800 feet altitude at the highest.

Anyhow, it has stalled 3 times during/since the trip.

Once touring the Black Hills on Iron Mountain Road (excellent drive!) with 1/4 tank of gas, pulled in to a look-out point and it stalled after I shifted into Park. Tach fluttered first then it died. Started right back up and had no further issues on that drive.

Second time was pulling back into our campsite, same thing, but less fluttering, just stalled. Do not recall fuel level.

Third time was today (we just got back). I had the front end on ramps to change the oil. When I started it up after the oil change, it fluttered back and the tach actually went to zero, but it recovered. I gave it some gas and it seemed okay after that. Also 1/4 tank of gas.

Any ideas? Can't be altitude/thin air - others on this forum prob drive regularly at altitude, plus it happened at 750 ft elevation in Chicagoland. Maybe fuel pump?

Thanks for your input!

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that all your air intake tubes are tight. I had stalling problems also it just turned out to be loose intake tubes.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it stalls, what does it take for you to restart it? Does a check engine light come on when you restart?

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I get the message low performance and the light comes on for a bit then resets it self. For me to restart it I usually have the keep cranking it. Then when I fires it'll go. It usually stalls when it's coming to a stop from a downhill.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really should talk with your mechanic and see what is causing this before some major expense shows up.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not 100% sure about this but sounds like a crank position sensor

I've had this happen on my old 2003 Disco 2 (4.6 v8)... and on an older Saab 9000. Random stalling with tach dropping to 0. In both cases it was the crank position sensor (or the wheel that triggers it). Not quite exactly sure how our Lr3's/Disco 3's work since mine is still under warranty so I've not been forced to figure things out... but this could be a strong contender for an intermittent all-of-a-sudden-stalled car that sometimes will immediately restart, sometimes not.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that all your air intake tubes are tight. I had stalling problems also it just turned out to be loose intake tubes.

I will check the air intake.

It has actually restarted without problem every time its stalled out.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get the dealer to pull the codes as I'm sure whatever caused it would have left some footprint there. I'd be surprised if it was altitude - I often use my LR3 in the same locations as you mentioned and higher, although I'm not pulling dead weight it must be said.

I'm sure we're all interested to hear what you find.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get the dealer to pull the codes as I'm sure whatever caused it would have left some footprint there. I'd be surprised if it was altitude - I often use my LR3 in the same locations as you mentioned and higher, although I'm not pulling dead weight it must be said.

I'm sure we're all interested to hear what you find.

Agreed. I will get codes just in case its a window to a larger problem.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the truck into the shop (and back)... No codes, and no issues with stalling since.

However, the engine and trans ECUs were both in and "unknown" state. So, they updated the software. We'll see if that changes anything.

I wonder if the ECU couldn't adapt to the changes in air volume? IDK

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112