Pleasantly surprised by gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are reading this from the trip computer dont fool yourself.

I did my own readings from gas mileage app for the Iphone and I mostly vary from 9 to 15mpg.

15 mpg is if I drive like an old lady.

SO TRUE! The vehicle computer is NOT accurate. I have been tracking every one of my 33k miles since i brought the vehicle in Nov of 2009 with an outside program and i am only averaging 10.8 mpg. I do 80% city driving and i will admit when i get on the highway i have seen it get to 16 mpg...but it is what it is.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
880 mile round trip up to the Desolation Sound in BC. Fully loaded with luggage, two ice chests, driver and two passengers, single roof box and three bikes on the back.

On a mix of highway (65-80 mph) and hilly island driving, the computer gave an average of 17.8 mpg while hand calculation showed 17.62 mpg. I'm pretty easy on the right pedal, and tend to coast vs. brake where possible, but I didn't refrain from goosing the throttle to pass when opportunity arose.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually switched to ethanol-free gas and now see 21 mpg in mixed driving conditions, per computer:biggrin:

kdegLR4

Reaction score
I've played with E0 and liked the results (~20 on highway according to computer, so probably more like low 19s) but the closest station that offers E0 is nearly 30 miles away so I save it for road trips that direction

I guess we'll see what the drought and its effects on corn production do to ethanol production in general, but I would love to see ethanol phased out for more than just mileage reasons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo