Sunroof Drain...or so I thought!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I thought I'd post this as a quick heads up for others out there if you find yourself struggling with water in the footwells and you've cleaned your sunroof drains!

Long story even longer, I had cleaned all 4 drain ports and thought I was good to go, but still had water pooling up in my passenger footwell every time it rained. I ordered 4 brand spanking new sunroof drain lines because if I was gonna drop the headliner, I was gonna swap them all.

The headliner came down, and to my surprise, all my drain lines looked really good...I was expecting a crack somewhere around the sunroof frame, or a hole in one of the lines....nothing. I went ahead and swapped them anyway, thinking perhaps it was just something I couldn't see. Then it rained....thankfully with the headliner and everything else still out of the car...and I had water in my passenger footwell again.

After using the "hose" method to search for leaks, I found something VERY interesting! I had water coming in from some very unusual places...that's right, "places" not just "place."

After A LOT of searching, I finally found where the main source of water was. I took pictures, but it's hard to describe and a little difficult to visualize even with the pics, but here goes. There is a cavity in the body panels just behind and below the side air intake on each side of the rover. LR has put some foam in a plastic bag and shoved it in there for what I can only assume in for noise reduction and anti vibration. In theory, any water that makes its way into that cavity should just flow out the tiny drain holes "built" into the folds/joints of the sheet metal. Unfortunately, in my case, those holes had become filled with dirt, leaves....junk etc... When this happened, the water fills up a little bit in that cavity, and in doing so finds another exit...that really should have ben sealed with seam sauce from the factory. This particular seam is located in the passenger (or driver) footwell, behind the kick panel, and behind the cabin wiring harness looms. FYI finding this leak was a giant PITA. I sealed it with some underwater rated sealant and everything has been dry ever since. I also pulled the foam out and then cleaned the cavity....as best I could. Getting in there is extremely hard. Most of my pics are from my borescope that I was able to snake in there and look around with.

For reference, here's the cavity:
IMG_0656.jpeg

This is what it looks like on the inside...don't forget, there's a piece of foam in here, but I have it out:

IMG_0655.jpeg

Here's what it looks like on the inside of the cabin...doesn't look like a leaking point, does it....

IMG_0593.jpeg

Here's a different pic showing the hole leaking water:

IMG_0591.jpeg

Ok, I can only post 5 pics, so I'm going to continue with another post...cause this is still only 1 of the 3 leaks I had!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continuing, here's what I did to seal it up. Basically, there was no way I could get at it from the outside to seal it, so all my effort was spent sealing from the inside. Full disclosure, I have concerns that water may get trapped and cause a corrosion problem down the road, but hopefully cleaning out the cavity will be enough to get water moving in the right direction.

IMG_0657.jpeg

As if that weren't enough, I also found a rather unusual hole in the sheetmetal underneath my windshield: (edit note: this hole is DIRECTLY into the inside of the cabin, it DOES NOT go through to the channel under the windshield like it looks)

IMG_0483.jpeg

It's clear this hole was intentionally drilled. I have top say I have no clue as to who or why. FYI, we've owned this LR4 since brand new in 2010. My only guess is that one of the Safelite techs who swapped my windshield found it necessary to drill this hole...again, I got nothing.

The hole itself is only about 1/8", but you'd be amazed at how much water comes in from that!! It then runs behind the firewall insulation and directly into the footwell. (FYI, this hole was also on my passenger side). I sealed this particular hole up from both the outside and inside and all is dry! (sorry I forgot to take a pic.).

FINALLY, I discovered that I was getting a little bit of water that was running down the windshield, and around the deflector in the lower windshield plastic cowling, and finding its way in via the air intake "scoop" for the cabin climate control. Looking from the top down, you can see how the opening sticks out just a little bit past the windshield. (FYI, this is like a one in a million chance that everything will align to deflect water in this way...but some people are just lucky like that...smh)

IMG_0478.JPG

So, I cut up a plastic jar and "glued" it to the air scoop to ensure the lip didn't stick out beyond the windshield lip...yes, I know it looks a little crazy, but it was the best I could come up with on short notice, and well, it's hidden and should work just fine.
IMG_0671.jpeg

Thus ends the crazy tale of finding where all my water leaks were coming from. Obviously, I sealed both sides of the footwell just to be safe. Thankfully, I had the dash and carpet removed so I could see and seal everything.

Hopefully this will help someone out there who's ready to scrap their LR4 because they can't keep it dry.

Oh, and yes, she's dry as a bone now! And we've had several rainstorms, and I've blasted it every which way I can think of with the hose!

Finally....all is good...well...all is good with this problem. On to the next project!!

RoverTide

Reaction score
Wow. Nice job. I will be referencing this in the future, I’m sure. I did the sunroof drain cleaning, upgraded the a-pillar clips, replaced the cowl, and covered my hvac scoop…. but have a feeling water will still find its way in somehow.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Nice job. I will be referencing this in the future, I’m sure. I did the sunroof drain cleaning, upgraded the a-pillar clips, replaced the cowl, and covered my hvac scoop…. but have a feeling water will still find its way in somehow.
Upgraded a-pillar clips? You have my attention…

I thought they were all the same? You know, one time use sorta clips? Cause I swear it seems like if they’re on there 24 hours or more the heads break off when trying to remove the trim piece. SMH

RoverTide

Reaction score
Sorry, not necessarily an upgrade, but new clips with the little round piece of tape that covers the top hole.

I had water come in through the holes in the a-piller…. For those that are chasing a water leak, this might help. It requires you to snap off that little piece of plastic on the a-pillar cover that is designed to go in that hole. You can use duct tape, but I broke the clips when I removed the black a-piller covers, so had to buy new ones anyway. Here’s a pic of the round piece of tape applied.

Attachments

• 20231217_134911 2.jpg
    20231217_134911 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 41

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha! I was toying with the idea of putting some silicone around/in the holes so when I installed the trim cap, it would seal itself up. However, the original "gasket" was still there and in ok shape so I just reinstalled the trim. Knowing my luck, I'd break the trim piece trying to get the silicone to let go!

CPalacay

Reaction score
Sorry, not necessarily an upgrade, but new clips with the little round piece of tape that covers the top hole.

I had water come in through the holes in the a-piller…. For those that are chasing a water leak, this might help. It requires you to snap off that little piece of plastic on the a-pillar cover that is designed to go in that hole. You can use duct tape, but I broke the clips when I removed the black a-piller covers, so had to buy new ones anyway. Here’s a pic of the round piece of tape applied.

I replaced the A-pillar both sides along with the windshield cowl. Parts counter at the dealership printed out instructions when I picked the up which I thought was odd at the time since they are all just clipped into place. Instructions are just like you stated, clip the plastic guide and cover up the hole with the supplied tape. Genius, lol.

-CP

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
@Tapps33 Crazy find. Those stupid foam inserts and sand filled plastic bags were the first thing I threw out when I popped off the side grills to clean out the drain tubes. Come to think of it, I need to clean mine out again. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely seal mine up too. I've waded across some pretty deep water too and luckily didn't have any issues.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y’all have convinced me, I’m pulling my trim caps off as soon as the weather gets just a little warmer.

@RoverTide, where did you source the little black circle tape? Or is this one of those “ductape” will work just fine?

I guess we’re just sealing the hole up, and since the guides are clipped, I wonder if some heavy duty sealant would be a more permanent seal?

The big question will be, I literally just replaced the clips 4 days ago, how many will break when I take the trim panels off! LOL!! (Seriously, I’m guessing at least one or two. SMH)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72