Aux Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an example of installing an aux air compressor in the LR4? Running out of room in the engine bay with aux battery and winch solenoid. Looking for ideas.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spare tire location is where i will be looking when i get to that point.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just out in the garage trying to plan a few projects. Air and CB install. Its too bad that the onboard system we already have isn't good enough for this. We already have a damn tank and compressor. I wonder if it would be possible to put a VIAIR 450 on and feed it into the same tank or something and then use that as air supply.

On a related note. I didnt find this kit for airing up the air suspension manually in an emergency. http://www.greenovalexperience.com/#!eas/cl9p (GOE EAS Emergency Inflation kits)

Do you have more detailed pictures of your winch install somewhere? I was hoping to see and read more detail about that project. I would like to do that next summer.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I want to put a compressor underneath but we'll see. I'd rather run a second separate unit in case the main one eats it as well as to air up tires. Thinking the larger ARB compressor would be good. I have an extremeaire in my d90 but it is heavy, big and not so efficient. If I was any more bothered, I would switch back to CO2, which may be the answer to my own question. ugh.

MBW, I will get to the write up soon. Need for things to slow down. Summer ending might help that.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was researching portable compressors when I came across this. . .

http://www.expeditionportal.com/res...627-overland-journal-air-compressor-test.html

In the end, I just purchased a VIAIR 85P. I just need something reliable/portable that I can use to air up after running on the beach. The VIAIR seemed like a good 12V option, but they also have some that do the direct connect to the battery. In the case of the LR4, that's a bit of a pain because of the battery covers and what not.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I really like the VIAIR 450P. I may try to run some extra lines with some poles for easy connection. I may not do a mounted on board air system right away, but I can always use the 450P that way later. I'd like to investigate how to best have a setup that can act as a backup for the on board tank and amk compressor, so that if one or both tanks, or one of the compressors fail, I still have a way to air up the suspension and whatnot.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some POS Kobalt compressor in my car for emergencies. Sure enough, I let too much air out of the tire (no biggie, i have a compressor, right). Well, the damn 12V plug had broken. I ended up driving 3 miles on 10PSI to a gas station (really slow). Enough with the crap compressors. Murphy's Law.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really not that big of a deal to remove the battery cover, it only takes a couple of seconds to yank it and attach the alligator clips. The problem with "cigarette lighter powered" units, is that they are limited in amperage (otherwise the circuit fuse would blow), so they are normally sloooow.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really not that big of a deal to remove the battery cover, it only takes a couple of seconds to yank it and attach the alligator clips. The problem with "cigarette lighter powered" units, is that they are limited in amperage (otherwise the circuit fuse would blow), so they are normally sloooow.
That's the route I went. I have an A/C adaptor one, but as I mentioned previously, it kept blowing the fuse. I finally decided to get a good one with alligator clips. For how often we use it, seems like the best option. I just don't see a need (for me) to have dedicated on-board air.

This is the one I got (I think you originally recommended it?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200820016174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-David

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo