2013 LR4 Suspension Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverMike

Reaction score
I have a Suspension fault, took it to the dealership and they quoted me $1,500 for a new suspension compressor, any recommendations for a good aftermarket one online? seen a lot of them on eBay for around $170.00

ugmw177

Reaction score
i would source an oem unit; Expect about a third of that cost if you do and install the compressor yourself [a bit fiddly but pretty easily done in your garage or driveway]. Need to verify if your vehicle has AMK [probably] or Hitachi compressor and order like type. The amazon/ebay units are cheap chinese copies and may get you by in a pinch but you will proabably be replacing it soon again

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a genuine Hitachi compressor from Amazon for $480. Genuine AMK seems to be a bit more. Install was straight forward, though tedious. You will need jack stands to keep the car up if the suspension loses pressure since you'll be working underneath. You need to determine which compressor you have, which you can tell from removing the cover based on the bracket used to mount the compressor to the chassis.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an AMK unit in the UK that was quite a bit cheaper; I think I've provided details in a previous thread; the company was Island 4X4. The install is pretty easy.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found an AMK unit in the UK that was quite a bit cheaper; I think I've provided details in a previous thread; the company was Island 4X4. The install is pretty easy.
I purchased OE air struts from them too. They’re happy to ship across the pond and have reasonable pricing.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to be responsible for someone else's choices, but I bought the cheapest Chinese Hitachi knockoff available on Amazon and had my mechanic friend install it and it has worked just fine. It cost like $135. I told my mechanic friend not to install it if anything looked off. His opinion is the knockoff part looked identical to the Hitachi. Didn't need to reprogram anything. It was plug and play and it worked. I was getting random suspension fault codes before that and haven't got one since the swap. How long will it last? No idea. My mechanic friend was like, "It's an air compressor for the suspension. Nothing magical about that." Maybe it's just one of those items where the generic knockoff version is fine, given what it is intended to do. Or maybe I got lucky. But it did open my eyes to the fact that you may be able to get by with bargain basement parts on some things rather than paying top dollar. I looked into the kit to completely refurbish the old Hitachi (which I still have) and my sense is it was almost as expensive as the newly manufactured knockoff. Given the fact the new part seems to work fine, it just doesn't make sense for me to mess around with servicing the old one.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen too many reports of janky aftermarket compressors failing. Given I use my LR4 off road, I don't ever want to be someplace where my compressor fails, I'm ****** on the trail, and all because I wanted to save a buck on something that needs replaced around every 80,000 miles.

Last edited:

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ryanjl makes sense for that use, but I'm 95% pavement. Occasional dirt or gravel road or grassy field or snow covered road is about as off-road as I can get. Strictly speaking, I've never "needed" to use off-road height, but still have just for the fun of it. I just don't like price gouging and $1,500 to replace the air compressor sounds ridiculous to me, like paying $1,000 to have the dealer change your battery. I'm sure there are people out there that would do it because they have the money and they don't care and they don't want to be bothered with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72