Another Battery Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its about time to replace my battery, but I wanted to ping the collective and get your thoughts.

This winter has been very mild, but on the coldest days so far (10-20 deg F), my LR3 will throw error messages on screen for a brief moment at start-up. I think if we had a typical Chicago winter, I'd be in more trouble than I am.

At any rate, I finally got around to taking it to my local Advance Auto and got the battery tested. Here are the results:

Voltage 12.61 V
Amps 636 CCA
My Interstate battery that's in there is rated at 850 CCA

The tech told me that it could be the battery or the alternator and that he could determine because the battery wasn't fully charged. Just for kicks, I him test the alternator output and it was 14.4 V. I suppose the alternator could be putting out 0 amps, but I find it unlikely.

I figure that since my error messages have been going on for maybe 2 months, if it were the alternator, the battery would be dead by now.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Should I go ahead and replace the battery?

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is your battery? If it's over 5 years (in some cases 3 years) it's a good idea to get it replaced anyways. Weak batteries can cause a lot of error codes over time...

As a preventive measure, check all your brake bulbs and replace them with LR specific ones, also get the brake light sensor checked and replaced. By doing these three items you will have a long term hassle free ride AFAIK.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake light bulbs are original. Little known fact is that he tail lights are the same bulb as the brake lights. Both have a dual filament. When my brake lights went out (I actually didn't notice until both we out!) I just swapped the bulbs around.

I didnt even remember until I just searched my records, but my brake light switch was replaced under warranty in march of 2008.

Looks like the battery was replaced in December of 2007. I'll go get a new one tomorrow. Thanks!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your battery reads(when stationary) 12.61 V , that is a reading of a brand new unit: 6 cells x 2.1 volts =12.60. Then , after start up , if it reads 14.4 that is perfectly good reading out of a good alternator charging...if you have any fault codes , look somewhere else ...my two cents

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake light bulbs are original. Little known fact is that he tail lights are the same bulb as the brake lights. Both have a dual filament. When my brake lights went out (I actually didn't notice until both we out!) I just swapped the bulbs around.

I didnt even remember until I just searched my records, but my brake light switch was replaced under warranty in march of 2008.

Looks like the battery was replaced in December of 2007. I'll go get a new one tomorrow. Thanks!

Also check for corroded negative terminal. It appears to be common in LR3's. Whoever replaces the battery should look for leakage and clean and neutralize it under and behind the battery. And make sure the drain tube gets connected to the battery also. It should be around the battery running close to fusebox and terminating infront of the battery.

Keep us posted. Cheers!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 battery, ha... I've got an 05 LR3 and I am on my third battery. Agreed on the negative terminal issues.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made some calls and looked online. I focused on the Interstate brand... Their website and the 2 places I called recommended a 720 CCA battery MTP-H8, but the one in there is an 850 CCA battery MTP-93.

I am going to pick up the 850 amp one. I don't think 720 is enough. I'm having issues at 636!

Plus, the 850 was dealer installed. AND it is $150 versus $220 for the lower rated battery! Makes no sense to me.

I got warnings this morning in 29 degree weather. Its supposed to be single digits this weekend, so I will have immediate feedback on whether this solves my problems.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the terminals are surgical clean, so no worries there. Thanks for the heads up tho

squarecircle

Reaction score
Batt. recomendation

Greetings All >>>> Odyssey PC 21500 >>>> 1150 cc amps will end your batt. worries. >>>> I got mine from Amazon. >>>> $300.00 dropped @ front door! >>>> 84 lbs. and hard install for this quality unit will bring happiness!!!!! >>>> Google it.

Regards, sq. caged in a '06 English Ford LR-3 SE.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the one I had in the car, replaced with the same:

MTP-49/H8. Right after I replaced the battery we encountered snow storm of the decade in Seattle last month. With below freezing temperatures, ice sheets on the car for almost a week, starting my LR3 was a breeze. No problems. Actually that was the last thing I worried about. It performed beautifully!

I paid $190.00 which included installation price at a local Firestone shop. They were the ones carrying it.

Product ID: MTP-49/H8
Amps: 900
Cranking Amps: 900
Cold Cranking Amps: 720
Voltage: 12
Pro-rata Warranty: 85
Weight: 52
Width: 6.89
Length: 13.94
Height: 7.48

Latest posts

Members online