Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4's smart alternator does not do the battery any favours. This is not your father's Oldsmobile. Buy a trickle charger, especially if you use heated windshield, heated rear, four seat heaters and of course the steering wheel and like to make short trips.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can just look at alternators in the modern age as “maintainers”, not ”chargers”.
And recall that the owner’s manual makes it clear. If a low battery is detected: “drive the vehicle for 30 minutes if above freezing… or 60 minutes if below freezing”. (section marked “Vehicle battery”.
Therefore if your driving habits do not satisfy this requirement, most probably some form of charger may be needed.

Last edited:

RebelYankee

Reaction score
Well damn. Picked up a NAPA AGM H8 today and while charging I noticed a "Made in China" sticker. Guy told me it was a East Penn battery. Thought they were all made in the USA?

RebelYankee

Reaction score
So I have updates and answers and clarifications.

I called East Penn customer service and they looked up the NAPA part number of the H8 AGM The Legend battery. It is made by Clarios and not East Penn.

I asked Customer Service who sold their batteries and she said it depends on the battery. She said with the size I was looking for that O'Reilly and Sam's Club sell it. I asked how I could tell and she said to look at the Manufacturer and it should say EPM. She also mentioned that for some reason the address on the sticker will say Baltimore, MD and not PA. She assumed it was because they have a warehouse there.

So here was my big question. I asked about battery differences/quality between labels, and she said there are NO differences. They are not selling Sams Club batteries that didn't meet specifications. She said most contracts they have with different labels do not include warranty coverage and that the warranties are provided by the labels. So if we take East Penn at their word, all the H8 batteries should be the same across all labels.

So I learned more about batteries from a 10 minute call then I did with hours or Internet searches.

Oh, and the battery will state "Made in the USA".

Last edited:

MRLR4

Reaction score
So I have updates and answers and clarifications.

Oh, and the battery will state "Made in the USA".
Walmart Everstart H7 is now a China battery, FWIW. My H8 Everstart 6 mos ago was a USA, I believe. Either they changed suppliers or they source H7/H8 differently.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72