3 car seats in an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It was, like I said, a major PITA. Had to keep loosening and slowly ratcheting the center belt up several times, knee firmly planted in the car seat and hands attempting to slide that slippery sucker through the belt path behind the seatback without kinks, before it finally "caught" the seat frame tight and with no slack. I then used the top tether anchor to secure it and prevent it from moving. I was mounting a convertible car seat (in the front facing position) though, not a newborn basinette. Can't help you with that one I'm afraid, but it is challenging for sure. Could you use the inner left and right LATCH anchors instead, or are they too spread apart? Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

AceRider

Reaction score
Could you use the inner left and right LATCH anchors instead, or are they too spread apart?

I've thought about that, however:

- I'm attempting to install a second seat, so one set is already taken, leaving me with one latch, so not good.
- Even if I were only using a center mounted seat, they say do not do that for some reason? I think it covers the seatbelt for the center seat, but there's probably more to it than that.
- Even if I were only using a center mount seat, this would cause problems in gaining access to third row since you have to loosen/remove latch to flip the seat forward. This is precisely why I seriously considered the Infiniti JX, which has a design that allows the seat to flip forward WITH a car seat attached; it slides forwards and pivots the entire seat from a spot at the front bottom area - ingenious. But an uninspiring car compared to LR....

I'm really think that I could figure a way to use the latch somewhere on the back of the center seat; I'd need an anchor point, but I'm sure I could find something in the hardware store. Then, as I do anyway, use the seatbelt as added security.

Last edited:

Cbald1976

Reaction score
Either/or not both!

Hi guys- just got my new LR4 and I am installing my Diono seats 3 across the middle row. They were previously 3 across in a Subaru Forester, so I *know* they will fit. I am just trying to get the middle seat securely installed with the belt. It is tough as the belt has a lot of slack between clicks.

Anyway, I found is forum to see how the rest of you managed with the slack and saw the comments about using belt and latch. See the link below to read why you should not use both.

http://thecarseatlady.com/latch-weight-limits/

Would hate for a well-meaning parent to find this out after an accident.

Reaction score
I have the clek seats they are a little narrower than the rest can fit 3 across or 2 in the 3rd row if you don't want to keep taking one out.

mko9

Reaction score
We normally run two seats in the 2nd row, and the 3rd in the back. We had a Britax Marathon facing forward behind the driver's seat for our 3yr old and a Chicco Keyfit 30 for our baby behind the passenger. The baby has now transitioned to another Britax Marathon facing backwards. My oldest is in a booster all the way in the back. We have fit her in between the other two in the 2nd row in the booster, when required. We normally keep the middle seat folded down so my oldest can access the back. My wife and my MIL can also fit in between the two car seats in the 2nd row (5'5" and 120-130lbs).

We have a pair Diono Malibu seats in the back of my BMW 5 series. They are only 17" wide and allow me to fit three across with a booster for the third.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635