I think mold got on my seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had been sleeping in the back of my LR4 over the winter and it looks like mold grew on my leather seats. I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense even though none of the other seats have the problem. The seats were tucked down so the cargo space was flat. Any ideas on how to remove mold? I tried my regular leather cleaner that is great for dirt but it didn't phase the mold at all. The seats have been up for a few weeks so it seems like its there to stay. I guess that is one drawback to sleeping in my car with tan seats lol.

IMG20240504073937.jpg
IMG20240504074030.jpg

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is more interesting is the mold doesn't appear to be present when I put my inverter on the seat on 4/20. I had that blanket on the seat and then the inverter hidden in the blanket. There wasn't mold there at that time so I think maybe the electricity played a part in the staining? If you look at the pics below, there isn't any mold on those seats and that was near the end of last month, not over the winter when I slept in back.

IMG20240420041305.jpg
IMG20240420041154.jpg

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray with LYSOL and wipe the seats off.
Change the cabin filter too. While the filter is out, turn the AC blower on high and spray LYSOL into the blower motor. That will **** the mold in the AC ducts.

The heat from the invertor kept the moisture at bay.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard of the lysol trick. I have never tried it, though. Won’t it leave a sticky mess inside the ductwork??

Truly, there isn’t an issue I haven’t fixed by using the autoglym products and a toothbrush…. that includes pen ink and permanent marker ink on the seats.

I also have never had mold. But the trick I think is what I’ve learned from my jags…. the air con is always on, even when I’m using the heater. It keeps the interior dry.

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried some Lysol. I sprayed it on and kept it wet for 3.5 minutes (directions call for 3 mins). Maybe in a few days the mold will go away. Its getting warm and I'm surprised to see the mold there in these temps (97F).

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Lysol is making a positive impact to the mold. It changed color to be lighter over a 24 hr period. I might wait another day or give it another application, but it looks promising.

IMG20240514061630_dayafter_lysol.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4