1997 Range Rover starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maddawgxxl

Reaction score
Hey, been reading and testing and not having any luck so I'll see if anyone has any new ideas... 97 rover starts right up and runs great, doesn't shut off while driving. As soon as you shut it off, it won't restart. Once that happens I get no fuel pressure at the rail. After a few hours goes by, it will start right up again but as soon as you shut it off, same thing!

Any ideas?? Already did a new cap, plugs, wires... what am I missing? Only code stored was a P0733 but I think that was from the dead battery!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.... New cap, on a 97? Sounds like either a sticking fuel relay or the fuel pump is on its way out.. how many miles, and when did it start... what work has been done other than plugs and wires.

maddawgxxl

Reaction score
I actually just bought it as backup winter truck. The guy said it had new plugs wires and distributor. I just assumed it was a cap but I'm guessing by your response its not lol. I also ordered a crankshaft positioning sensor to see if that helps. When it runs the pump kicks on from the trunk each time. But after I shut it off the pump won't turn on anymore unless there is a resting period. I tried switching some relays and it didn't make a difference.
The truck has 130k on it but i only paid $2000 so I'm hoping its not too much to fix.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With that mileage, I would start thinking that it may need a pump if it will not come back on right away... could very well be over heating.

maddawgxxl

Reaction score
I gave it another try today but this time I didn't drive it long. I started it up for a bit (started right up, idles perfect) Drove around the block and shut it off. I waited a minute and tried to restart, it started right up but quickly starts to die. As soon as I hit the gas its dead and no more restarting. And didn't hear the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Need to check fuel pressure thought... just because you hear the pump doesn't mean it is working..

maddawgxxl

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back... I replaced the fuel pump and the crank sensor and same thing. Truck will start but if it runs a few minutes, it won't restart and no pressure at the rail again. What next???

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel pump relay... bad wiring?.. Fuel pressure Regulator... Fuel filter clogged...

maddawgxxl

Reaction score
Changed the fuel filter while the tank was out. I did switch relays with I believe the wiper relay and same problem. Maybe I'll try new ones all around. Is there a schematic for the wiring so I can follow the wiring and see if there's a problem? Starting to get a bit frustrated lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM