Tech inspection failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a tech inspection the other day on my LR4 and one of my new control arms has a tear in the ball joint boot. The other side boot is fine. I wonder if there was flex in the joint that caused a tear that or if it was left like that during install? It seems like there should be a ring or keeper around it. The boot falls down off the metal mating surface. Any ideas on how a tear could happen?

IMG20240503082827.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. Having done that job myself recently, all I can think of is that maybe it was damaged during install. Maybe only mildly at the time, but with time and thermal cycles it got worse?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The retaining ring probably got dislodged during shipping.
When the boot dropped down, it got caught against the ball joint. Tearing it.
Should be a parts warranty repair.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop that did the work said they would stand by their warranty so I've got an appointment tomorrow. Its been leaking for a while because grease is all over the bottom part of the knuckle.

Its the same shop that tried to shake me down for tie rods that I didn't need so I'm not that hopeful. I'm not going to be asking them to look at my air suspension lol. Another shop is doing that.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call back from the shop after dropping off the LR4 this morning for the ball joint boot and they will be warrantying it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I get my LR4 back and now it has a metallic clack on the same side they replaced the control arm. Its pretty bad and I can hear it clack when hitting the reflectors in the road. It turns out they are using aftermarket control arms and not Land Rover brand like I asked for. They are API brand and the side that is clacking looks new and I don't see anything loose. I've got another appointment on Monday. Is anyone familiar with the quality of the API control arms? I'm pretty worried now lol.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM are made by Lemforder. If you buy those, they are identical except they take an angle grinder to the Land Rover logo and then paint. The Lemforder ones are about $200 each from FCPEuro, complete with balljoint and bushings. Sounds like your shop is pretty dodgy.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I get my LR4 back and now it has a metallic clack on the same side they replaced the control arm. Its pretty bad and I can hear it clack when hitting the reflectors in the road. It turns out they are using aftermarket control arms and not Land Rover brand like I asked for. They are API brand and the side that is clacking looks new and I don't see anything loose. I've got another appointment on Monday. Is anyone familiar with the quality of the API control arms? I'm pretty worried now lol.
Tell them to do it again on their dime, if you specifically asked for OEM that's what they should have installed...

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice, I appreciate it. The brand is the Lemforders. I dropped it off this morning and provided steps to make the noise. 25 MPH on their own street and drive on the reflectors. I went down there over the weekend to find the easiest way to do it to save time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4