Ride height control problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

escociabhoy

Reaction score
I have a 2005 lr3, with 34,000 miles, the ride height will go into off road mode no problem when I press the button on the console however I cannot lower the vehicle back to normal height or access height using the button. I had it in the dealership a few weeks ago because I had to have the suspension compressor replaced (I punctured it out in the oil field on a piece of steel going over some rough ground), the lowering issue existed before I punctured the compressor. The dealership told me it was the Electronic Height Control Unit that had to be replaced but since they were trying to sell me over $3000 worth of unnecessary services including an alignment and new tires I do not really trust them. I've since had the vehicle in a local shop in Houston that did some work on it and told me that the services LR tried to sell me were unnecessary and that my tires were fine but I forgot to ask about the ride height issue. I want to get some advice before I take it back to the shop and pay a diagnostic fee. I am puzzled since the truck raises fine, it's just the lowering which has issues so I am confused as to why the ECU would need to be replaced.

Any thoughts?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the switch itself is not functioning. Has it gotten wet.

Was the ecu re-programmed / updated when the compressor was installed? Who is your indy in town up there?

Perhaps before replacing it, the ecu can be reprogrammed with the latest firmware, and the relay replaced per the TSB's when you replace the compressor.

escociabhoy

Reaction score
I got the vehicle last May and I haven't spilled anything on it, I know the previous owner and as far as I know he didn't spill anything on it either but it's possible at some point the switch got wet. Is the switch fairly easy to replace if it is damaged? I've looked at buying the Hill Descent Switch Control Panel on ebay but I am not sure this would fix the problem.

I don't believe the ECU was reprogrammed when the compressor was installed but again I am unsure, I'll have to call the dealership tomorrow to find out. The indie I've been using is EuroCarWerk, I've had a good experience with them so far, they seem to know a lot about LR3's.

I appreciate the insight, I don't want to walk into the shop and blindly ask to have the ECU replaced but I'm sure if I take it to the indie shop they'll be able to locate the problem.

Trynian

Reaction score
99% of the time the situation you mention, it is the switch. Replace the switch, it is not to expensive and easy to change. Just pop it out and plug the new one in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib