Over $1,100 for New Brake Pads & Rotors...Sound right to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
These prices seem real high to me... check out the UPGRADED rotors and pads are still only $650 http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8849EBCK.cfm

Shoot the stock ones for rotor and pads are less the $500... not sure what you guys are ordering.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did LR Darien tell you you needed both pads and rotor? There big on pads only first time.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO.i would not waste your time with the factory equipment. I have used and trusted EBC many times in the past and for my customers. i do not have these but will soon be replacing mine with this setup. Greenstuff pads should dramatically cut down on dust and provide better stopping power over the factory. Rotors are great also, cross-drilled are almost worthless on a street vehicle, dimpled and/or grooved are the way to go. here is a deal on the whole kit.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8849EBCK.cfm

PakiRover

Reaction score
Ditto AB

Ditto the earlier post regarding Atlantic British. I needed pads and rotors at 35K. Bought the complete kit from AB for $350 (it was on sale at that time for 290 plus shipping). Found a Midas store that would work on the LR3. Not all of them in SA, TX did, only the one near the rover dealership did. They offered to do the job for 200. They offered to switch out the AB kit pads for their own for a lifetime warranty which I took them up on.

So I got a complete brake job with new pads, rotors, sensors for 550. Its been 4 months, 6k miles and the brakes work just fine. I did have the problem of the emergency brake applying once while driving, but I got that adjusted from LR.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread here. . .

Driving home today the "check brake pads" warning kept chiming up (about 20 times in a 5 minute span - is that really necessary?). Anyway I already have a dealer visit planned for Monday to install a trailer wiring harness so I'll have them check the brakes as well. My experience with dealers is that they will ALWAYS tell you that you have to change both pads and rotors, never just pads. Perhaps this will be different with Land Rover. Since I just got the rig last weekend with 49K miles, I don't know the brake repair history, but I know that the dealer can look it up as all of the service records are at a related dealership.

I want to go in as informed as possible, so my question is, how do they determine if you need new rotors? Is there a thickness minimum requirement? If they tell me I need pads and rotors, I want them to be able to back it up. Also should I be afraid of going to an outside service vendor? Going to a place that has lifetime free pad replacement is awefully tempting given the cost of these. Thoughts?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy...if the dealer so much as looks at the rotors, you need new ones. It will cost about a third as much if you just by the parts at atlantic british and either do it yourself or find someone who can. I'd buy the parts myself to be sure what I was getting (vs. just going into Midas or wherever), you can either get OEM parts or an upgrade - don't remember the name offhand. In my opinion, it'd be awfully hard for any brake shop to screw the install up, it's pretty cut and dry. Can't help with the minimum thickness requirement, sorry.

jlindy

Reaction score
Ditto the earlier post regarding Atlantic British. I needed pads and rotors at 35K. Bought the complete kit from AB for $350 (it was on sale at that time for 290 plus shipping). Found a Midas store that would work on the LR3. Not all of them in SA, TX did, only the one near the rover dealership did. They offered to do the job for 200. They offered to switch out the AB kit pads for their own for a lifetime warranty which I took them up on.

So I got a complete brake job with new pads, rotors, sensors for 550. Its been 4 months, 6k miles and the brakes work just fine. I did have the problem of the emergency brake applying once while driving, but I got that adjusted from LR.

I just had my wife's car in for it's routine service (2005 LR3 SE with 37k miles) and they said that I will need the rotors/pads replaced on it. The rears have 5% and the fronts have 25% according to the dealer and they quoted me a price to replace everything...ready for this???? $1400!!!!! I was shocked and actually laughed at them on the phone.

Any feedback on the AB parts and whether they have held up, squeaked, dust, etc.? I have a mechanic that I think can put these on for me and I was thinking of just buying them from AB as they are only $369 plus shipping. (pads and rotors front/rear)

Also, this is a leased car that expires in 10 months and I don't want to spend money on the fronts if they will last long enough. Should I do all at once or are the fronts good? AB says that you CAN'T simply turn the rotors and just replace the pads which is exactly what the dealer said.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went through this today with Land Rover Chantilly. While I was in for a new compressor, they quoted me $1,800 for new pads, rotors, alignment, flush, ****** exam, etc. I called me local "Euro" shop and they quoted me $1,100 for the same work. I got LR to reduce to $1,400, but that still is ridiculous. 29,000 miles.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That price is high; I don't think it was that much at the Seattle shop, but I got quoted a long time ago. In a related note, it's noteworthy that there is such a wide variance in how long the brake pads are lasting.

I have 51,000 miles on my 2005 HSE and the pads are well over 50% (original).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024