My 2012 LR4 is not starting anymore, help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that replacing the starter also cleans the connections, typically. So you might not know if the old starter was actually OK at only 57,000 miles. That said, as I asked earlier, is the OP using ECO mode, which cycles the starter a lot? That's gotta have an impact.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not be the starter, some (not all) of these mechanics out there are not that great and will take you for everything you have that they think they can get away with. An air compressor at 57k mi would make more sense.
I don't think my starter has been replaced and its at 105k mi. I was thinking about proactively replacing it along with the alternator but they are pretty expensive and I'm asking myself why fix something that isn't broken. These parts are not defective like the coolant pipes. On the other hand if I'm out in BFE and the starter doesn't engage then I'll be thinking I should have replaced it before it died.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@powershift, I agree.
But at the first signs of trouble, which could be something as simple as an unfamiliar sound, I’m getting it looked after.

Sadly, the generator started with crazy noise and ended in catastrophic failure in less than 20 kms…. you can’t win them all.

Georgemera1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that replacing the starter also cleans the connections, typically. So you might not know if the old starter was actually OK at only 57,000 miles. That said, as I asked earlier, is the OP using ECO mode, which cycles the starter a lot? That's gotta have an impact.
There is not ECO mode on this one.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
random things can go bad probably just happened to be the starter for you. I agree though, it is early but probably just bad luck. It could also have been bad connections too. I have 146k on my truck and never have had a starter issue, which is honestly surprising considering that I had that long crank issue with my truck a bit ago and would have to go through multiple crank cycles to get the truck started. Regardless, probably just bad luck. These trucks are old, anything flies at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4