Lug nut quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tracked a noise to what I think is the lug nuts vibrating making a loose washer sound on rough road. Will they get looser and break or are they fine? 16 of 20 are like that.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The metal caps are loose. Most likely from using the incorrect lug socket.
They do break off at the shoulder where the washer is.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that the cosmetic cap can deform enough that you can't get a 22mm socket on it anymore, and can spin with a larger socket. I'd recommend getting some solid lug nuts, Gorilla make some, I got Eisen brand ones from Amazon and have been happy with them. Being able to get a lug off while in the back country is important to me, the oem are garbage waiting to leave your stranded.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted Gorilla to get help with their product because it sounds like they have a one-piece design in chrome. I'm not sure what part number or who their authorized resellers are. Lots of knock-offs out there for auto parts.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that the cosmetic cap can deform enough that you can't get a 22mm socket on it anymore, and can spin with a larger socket. I'd recommend getting some solid lug nuts, Gorilla make some, I got Eisen brand ones from Amazon and have been happy with them. Being able to get a lug off while in the back country is important to me, the oem are garbage waiting to leave your stranded.
+1

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 7/8" socket works well with the OEM lug nuts. It is tight enough, not to damage the OEM lug nut.
The solid lug nuts are a joy to remove and install.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024