Loosen and retorque suspension bolts when lifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MellonRover

Reaction score
Looking threads of those with lifted trucks, I don't see any mention of loosening and retightening the suspension bolts to help preserve the bushings. (or haven't looked enough)
Is it just such a no brainer that no one mentions it? Or do people slap on lift rods and then not make the connection when their suspension bushings perish?
Or does it not matter and the bushings pull a honey badger and just DGAF?

Trying to map out the next year's upgrades/mods and want to know the consensus.

MellonRover

Reaction score
agreed, for the most part. Alignment wont address all of the suspension parts though. Carrier/knuckle bushings and non eccentric bolts specifically.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't high centered yet on stock suspension in off-road height, but I'm still a newbie to the LR4 and past couple months I've been getting the tires dirty all through the Mohave on/off "designated" roads, through river bottoms. Its been a lot of fun. I've been testing the approach angle pretty hard and I still haven't hit the limit yet. I'm not traveling to offroad parks in Utah though so that to me would be asking for more maintenance work than I'm willing to do. I'm an overlander where its about the destination. Are you going for looks or function for your lift?

MellonRover

Reaction score
It will be for function. Past the point of "looking cool".
Want to fit decent sidewall. PO put 20" with Toyo's, trying to decide on 18's I like.

Want to start with lift/18's/nerfbars and go from there based on troubles I encounter.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you on coils then? No air suspension?

Or running an IID lift/lift rods?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running too big a tire can leave you stuck if your air suspension drops you to the bumpstops, regardless of whether you used lift rods or recalibrated the suspension to ride higher.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably worth creating manual spring inflators so you can limp out should the system crap out on you. It's been on my list of things to do to be better prepared (though I'm not running large tires so should be able to drive on bumpstops - just don't really fancy dragging the thing over obstacles if I'm off the beaten path.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024