Loosen and retorque suspension bolts when lifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably worth creating manual spring inflators so you can limp out should the system crap out on you. It's been on my list of things to do to be better prepared (though I'm not running large tires so should be able to drive on bumpstops - just don't really fancy dragging the thing over obstacles if I'm off the beaten path.)
What is a manual spring inflator?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
basically a quick disconnect in the air lines somewhere more accessible than the top of the springs, where you can connect a pigtail with a shraeder valve and then inflate with your tire compressor. You'll be limited by the pressure of your compressor, but you'd be able to get it off the bumpstops.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember the manual inflating won't work if you completely blow out an air strut... ask me how I know.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not that corner, but at least you'd be able to inflate the other 3. Not idea, but better than being on bumpstops?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically a quick disconnect in the air lines somewhere more accessible than the top of the springs, where you can connect a pigtail with a shraeder valve and then inflate with your tire compressor. You'll be limited by the pressure of your compressor, but you'd be able to get it off the bumpstops.
That sounds clever. I carry a tire pump that hits 150 lbs or so. Do you have a manual spring inflator on your rig? I'll need to do some YT searching for a how-two.

Just remember the manual inflating won't work if you completely blow out an air strut... ask me how I know.
How did you blow out an air shock?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you blow out an air shock?

Probably didn’t help that it had 110k miles on it, but I was on a very bumpy trail in Moab, was sick of the trail taking forever so I upped the pace and at some point it was just ******* air out.

Never threw a suspension light by the way. Just heard the air hissing out when I was driving along lol.

Managed to limp out of the trail. Skid plates came in handy.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably didn’t help that it had 110k miles on it, but I was on a very bumpy trail in Moab, was sick of the trail taking forever so I upped the pace and at some point it was just ******* air out.

Never threw a suspension light by the way. Just heard the air hissing out when I was driving along lol.

Managed to limp out of the trail. Skid plates came in handy.
Its weird it didn't throw a flag when the bag decompressed. I'm at 107k mi now on original air springs and take desert terrain about 5-10 MPH but traverse nothing like Moab.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024