Is something wrong with my LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon84

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a beautiful 2005 LR3.

It seems like the steering wheel is very jerky, and the car gets out of control on the freeway at times.

I took it for a bumper-to-bumper safety inspection at the LR dealership (which took an hour to complete, and makes me wonder how efficient it was) and was told everything is fine with the car, but the tire pressure was not balanced.

I took the car out, it seemed to drive fine. A few hours later on my home it felt like the car started jerking again side to side. It's a bit scary, it seems a little out of control.

Did anyone else experience this, or can tell me what might be wrong and needs to get done?

Thanks in advance!

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are the tires (tread, wear etc) and alignment on the vehicle?

Simon84

Reaction score
That's right, I forgot to mention- two front tires are in good condition, I replaced the two rear tires right after purchase since they were in bad condition. So 2 brand new Nexxen (sp?) tires.

As far as alignment, I had that in mind- do you think that is the problem? I didn't have that done.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have the dealer check the alignment and tire balance to ensure everything is good in those areas.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my 2005 LR3 SE7 to the dealer for service about six months ago. As part of the service, they rotated the Goodyear tires. They also noted that the Goodyears were (surprise, surprise) beginning to get some "cupping," but not dangerously so. After the service, at particular speeds (around 50 mph), my vehicle would experience a jerky steering wheel and side-to-side movements. I brought the vehicle back, the dealer returned the tires to their original position and the problem went away.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, that behavior is not normal. Should be a smooth ride, with easy steering.
Have the dealer do a road test. Note what speed this occurs at so they can recreate it.
Usually, however, when you tell them the speed they'll just know what to check (balance and such)

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would drive the car slowly to the dealer and ask them to give the car to a tech to drive home and back until he recreates the problem and it gets fixed. I to was "scared and the truck felt out of control" the problem could not be recreated during a short test ride with the tech but when he commuted with the truck it also scared the heck out of him.
So my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrn2024