Anyone end up buying their Grenadier order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet engine. There is a guy on TY that put the ZZ632 in a pickup. Crazy power naturally aspirated. I'd like to see the jugs on it.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sold 6398 Discovery 5s in 2017 in the US market.

In 2022: 1488
In 2023: 2416

It's a market juggernaut lol. The tribe has spoken, the 5 was a dud.

The LR4 in it's last year of production 2016: Sold 10 772 units in the US. Well Done Land Rover.

My D5 HSE Td6 (I ordered it in December 2016) was my first Land Rover experience and, as a non-member of "the tribe" who prefers driving niche vehicles, I couldn't be happier with it. It's the quintessential fusion of comfortable high-speed motoring and apocalyptic off-road capability equaling that of the new Defender (including wading depth) except for approach and departure angles. Handling and maneuverability with 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers (no lift required and no clearance problems) are as good or better than any other vehicle I've owned. It's had no major problems (so far) and I get 26+ mpg at a steady 80 mph (the speed limit on I-15 in Utah). The tribe doesn't know what they're missing and can keep their body-rolling LR4s.

Last edited:

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My D5 HSE Td6 (I ordered it in December 2016) was my first Land Rover experience and, as a non-member of "the tribe" who prefers driving niche vehicles, I couldn't be happier with it. It's the quintessential fusion of comfortable high-speed motoring and apocalyptic off-road capability equaling that of the new Defender (including wading depth) except for approach and departure angles. Handling and maneuverability with 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers (no lift required and no clearance problems) are as good or better than any other vehicle I've owned. It's had no major problems (so far) and I get 26+ mpg at a steady 80 mph (the speed limit on I-15 in Utah). The tribe doesn't know what they're missing and can keep their body-rolling LR4s.

I drove one of the Td6's and actually liked it... My only concern with the diesel was cold weather -- will it start if I leave it parked all day and its -5 F out. Any experience with that ?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The market is never wrong. People don't care for the D5 and that is why they never sold in meaningful numbers. From the "sitting in a bathtub" seating position to the cheap one piece liftgate LR flubbed it.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove one of the Td6's and actually liked it... My only concern with the diesel was cold weather -- will it start if I leave it parked all day and its -5 F out. Any experience with that ?
Diesels are impervious to environmental heat. I became a diesel fanatic during a six-month tour as a UN Military Observer in Western Sahara. We could be sitting in our UN Nissan Patrol diesels with the outside air temp at 135° F with AC on max, and the idling engine temp never got above mid green. It's not a proper summer in Las Vegas unless July temps hit 115°, which is why I have two diesel vehicles. In extremely cold weather, Diesels involve more operational and maintenance considerations than gasoline engines since Diesel #2 can gel at temps below 10° F (-12° C). If I lived in such a climate, I'd favor gasoline engines unless I needed the low-speed torque of a diesel.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The market is never wrong. People don't care for the D5 and that is why they never sold in meaningful numbers. From the "sitting in a bathtub" seating position to the cheap one piece liftgate LR flubbed it.
If the market was always right, we'd all be Jeep Sheep. Niche vehicle drivers don't give a rat's onager about the market.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels are impervious to environmental heat. I became a diesel fanatic during a six-month tour as a UN Military Observer in Western Sahara. We could be sitting in our UN Nissan Patrol diesels with the outside air temp at 135° F with AC on max, and the idling engine temp never got above mid green. It's not a proper summer in Las Vegas unless July temps hit 115°, which is why I have two diesel vehicles. In extremely cold weather, Diesels involve more operational and maintenance considerations than gasoline engines since Diesel #2 can gel at temps below 10° F (-12° C). If I lived in such a climate, I'd favor gasoline engines unless I needed the low-speed torque of a diesel.

Gotcha -- I saw Utah in your post so I had assumed you had spent one or more winters there...

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The D5 compromised 3rd row visibility/comfort due to the lower roof height/higher sill. Not a big deal for most, but important for my family of 6. Not to mention when I was buying in 2017, the our 2012 was within budget, but a D5 would not have been. Now, 20+ MPG is something I wouldn't mind! Do the rear seats fold flat?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 compromised 3rd row visibility/comfort due to the lower roof height/higher sill. Not a big deal for most, but important for my family of 6. Not to mention when I was buying in 2017, the our 2012 was within budget, but a D5 would not have been. Now, 20+ MPG is something I wouldn't mind! Do the rear seats fold flat?

I checked a 2018 or 2019 one out a few years back -- they fold flat or at least 99% of the way. Oddly, they fold ~ 95% flat the first time you push the button. Then you have to hit it a second time and it will go down just a little bit more to make them flush. Not sure if its a resistance sensor or if its some strategy to avoid wear on the leather.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge