Another cooling system question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temperature gauge reads hot, replaced the temp guage sensor (recent) coolant tem sensor (65000 mile) replaced thermostat (70000 mile). I noticed that the ac fans in front of radiator aren't coming on and the new issue when my lights are on temp guage goes up noticably. Any idea on what the hell is going on with my 1998 Disco with 116000 miles or is it time to get rid of it because it is becoming a money pit?

Is there a relay for the AC fans that might be bad and need replaceing or are the relays built into the fan and thats why the are $400?

Also how offten do the coolent temperature sensors go bad i replaced mine at about 65000 miles and now i have 116000 miles could this be the problem?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If the A/C fans are not coming on, test them with 12v direct power. If they either don't work or don't work well they could be bad. Buy them used if you don't want to spend the big bucks... try contacting Will Tillery @ www.roverguy.com he almost always has a few Rovers he is parting out.

Temp sensors normally do not go out, but anything is possible.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That fan should be coming on whenever your engine is at operating temp and or the a/c is on. Check your fuse first, if it is good, you'll need a new fan ASAP before you toast your engine.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the temp guage increasing when i have the lights on

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Lights will cause more of a power draw on the engine which in turn will cause the alternator to work harder, thus causing the engine to work harder.

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for yalls input.

There is a relay in the fuse box under the dash below the flasher does anyone know what that relay is for? Does anyone know where the FAN TEMPERATURE SENSOR SWITCH is located on a 1998 disco?

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone put a flex-fan on there disco. 4.0L

FLEX-FAN DOES NOT WORK WITH MY DISCO. COOLING SYSTEM SETUP (is a 1998 4.0L)

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Reaction score
My fans are not coming on either. I checked the fuse, I have power at the fan. I see these are $350 each - is it possible to clean up the brushes and rotors to get the working again?

WHat about just replacing the 12v motor?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of it being done skinnydipper, but like anything in this world a little work and anything is possible.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
Thanks Joey. I think it's worth a try to save $700. I'm heading out on vacation, but will try to fix them when I get back. I'll update you all on the results in couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinepgib