Wheel bearing / ABS going off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend stopped by with his 96 D1 w/105K miles, the ABS has gone off at slow speeds, backing out / in driveways. There is around 1/8" play at the top of the right front tire when shaking in and out. This is not from the swivel pin or swivel bearings top and botton, all from a loose wheel bearing.
Question, will this allow the ABS sensor ring to move away enough from the sensor and cause the ABS to go off? The left swivel and wheel bearings are tight or zero play. Rear wheel bearings tight and all 4 wheel sensors have been reseated.
.....=o&o>.....

N

NHESS81

Do you mean the ABS light is on at low speed? This is normal when you first start the truck, it stays on in reverse, and only extinguishes above like 5MPH in forward motion, BUT from here on out, it should not turn on again until the ignition is cycled off and on again.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the normal safety check by the ABS system it will go off coming to a stop like 20 mph, backing out of a parking stall pedal pulse can't stop. Stealers told him they reseated the sensors. My question was is there enough lifting of the axle stub because or a loose wheel bearing to make the gap between sensor and sensor ring too wide and set off the ABS. The dash light goes on and off but back on.

N

NHESS81

wow, what a pain the ass it must be for him. are there any euro-only workshops in the area? I would take it there, see if they know what it might be, avoid stealerships at all costs, independant garages are usually much more helpful. I would say that if you KNOW the wheel bearing/hub is loose, then it must be at a pretty bad state, and should be repaired right away, and likely, would be causing all sorts of sensor errors--what doesnt on a disco? Let us know what happens, but I like your theory

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it was me (I am not giving advise, saying what I would do) I would just pull the 30 amp fuse under the hood and never look back.

ABS and LR = lousy braking.
ABS without fuse and LR = stop every time.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soon as my friendly Rover dealer sends two , get this yes free hub to cap gaskets i'll check both sides up front. Right is too loose and left with no detectable clearance at all. The rear wheels have just detectable clearance both sides. To pull the ABS at this time I won't do it until i've been thru the wheel bearing, sensor testing. Can ABS codes be pulled up on blinking light like my 95 D1? I sure like the engine trouble and fault clearing on the 95.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
the only way that I know of the get and/or clear ABS codes is via testbook, or similar dealer computer.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a 95 you can clear the ABS yourself, 96 not a clue.

R

rsrichie

Forget about the ABS, pull the fuse it is the most dangerous part of the Discovery (other than the driver)

T

twendelandying

beemer said:
After the normal safety check by the ABS system it will go off coming to a stop like 20 mph, backing out of a parking stall pedal pulse can't stop. Stealers told him they reseated the sensors. My question was is there enough lifting of the axle stub because or a loose wheel bearing to make the gap between sensor and sensor ring too wide and set off the ABS. The dash light goes on and off but back on.

Have you had the problem where the wheel bearing begins to collapse, and this then causes the ABS lights to come on. I have had a Disco 2 in for servicing and we replaced sensors, cleaned up all inside, checked all connections. Light still comes on after a few days. Spoke to a fundi here in South Africa and he said he has had one before where the wheel bearing (which is sealed) had begun to collapse and after replacing hub with wheel bearing enclosed this fixed the problem. I obviously want to try be certain before changing this part as it is expensive. Any suggestions welcome........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo