Tire pressure monitoring & new tire install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of researching new tires for my 06 LR3. I'm wondering if the tire pressure monitoring devices need to be replaced when new tires are installed.

FYI when checking the tire pressure, I noticed corrosion (white, not rust colored) on the threads of the tire valve stems, so I'm not sure if that is problematic for the proper functioning of the system. I read another thread recommending NOT using metal valve caps, and I have plastic ones at the moment, but don't know if metal covers were previously used (I recently bought the car used.)

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had just had a new set of tires and the TPMS did not need replacing but there's a suggested service kit (about $5 a wheel) which I think gives new o-ring and some such. My tire shop did break one sensor so they replaced it on their dime. The only problem I had was their generic OBD reader (non LR) poked the check engine light on because it logged a bunch of communication errors as the LR modules must not have understood the gibberish their system was shouting.

Fortunately my Faultmate FCR to the rescue and cleared them all and all is well....

So no, you shouldn't need new TPMS unless the batteries inside have died, it may be worth spending the $20 on the service kit and don't panic (too much) if you end up coming out with a CEL from your tire shop ;-)

And for the record I went with the Hankook DynaPro ATM from DiscountTires.com @ $160 each - not as noisy as I was expecting, they look good on the LR and should give me some grip off the road...I had them shipped to me and the tire shop charged me about $90 out the door for fitting, balance and tire disposal and taxes...still came out cheaper than off the shelf even if they had those in stock (which they didn't). Might be a crazy name for the tire company but I have another set of Hankooks on my Audi and bang for buck, you have a hard time matching them...no hesitation in recommending them.

Last edited:

victorhess

Reaction score
I had my '06 LR3's tires replaced at an independent shop last week and they figured it out without replacing anything.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2008 LR3 tires replaced in January at NTB. No issues with the TP sensors. I did purchase a back-up set just in case down the road....

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues here, just make sure they get the pressures right, mine didn't and it triggered the light.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum stems, brass valve caps maybe.

If you really are daring, try to remove the valve cores from the valve stems. Do not attempt this unless you like walking however or have a second set of tyres.

What I am getting at is that once upon a time prior to tire pressure monitoring, tire valve related stuff was generally made of brass and rubber; the valve cap might be chromed but it was brass under or perhaps just rubber or plastic.

With progress, for some reason, (money I suspect), when tire pressure monitoring got developed, somehow aluminum, (or something not brass), ended up to be the metal of choice. Sometimes however, the valve core remained brass and of course the two metals eat each other up. Add in a fancy shiny LR marked aftermarket tire cap made of Far Eastern old boat and gee, you just may have some corrosion.

In some tire shoppes, it is considered good practice to change out the tire valve when installing new tires - this is how the OEM valve can change to being one of a dissimilar metal - all with the best of intentions.

Schrader and GM have solved the problem by going back to rubber tyre stems with brass internals to which a tire sensor is attached. That does not help us much but if the Land Rover sensors are still original, they are probably fine.

Attachments

• Schrader_Rubber_Comparison_on standard vs airaware.jpg
    Schrader_Rubber_Comparison_on standard vs airaware.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635