Tips from My "DIY Oil Change"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to changing the oil on my LR3. It was easy as cake. For me the hardest part was getting the skid plate back on. If your LR3 isn't covered under warranty anymore I highly recommend doing your own oil changes. I ordered cabin, air, oil filters plus oil drain plug for $54 w/ free shipping and used Mobil1 Synthetic 8 qts at $58 from Amazon. One thing to look out for is when unscrewing old oil drain plug, the oil shoots out horizontally for a good 20-30 seconds so be sure to have your oil catch pan about 1'-2' ahead of the drain hole. It took me about an hour to clean spilled oil in the driveway. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 397657_2841003100117_1110482765_33061620_2116209815_n.jpg
    397657_2841003100117_1110482765_33061620_2116209815_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 208

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking winch and bumper.

Yes, using the new oil drain plug was wise as the seal is via the rubber O ring and not by over tightening the plug. The oil pan is some sort of cast alloy rather than pressed tin so stripping threads can be costly.

I use nominal 6 ton axle jacks under the frame on the very real chance that the 3 will drop on me while I am under it. 2 ton would be strong enough but perhaps not stable enough. When the air system random vents for no apparent reason, the 3 will drop a couple of inches in about a second.

Disconnecting the battery helps to keep the exhaust valve from opening but axle jacks are for certain.

I was impressed with the look of the front end of your 3 - something to be proud of.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. It took me about 45 minutes to do the initial oil change, but another hour to clean up the oil that sprayed out when I unplugged it. I eventually pulled it into the garage to service it, but new I would probably get oil on the ground at some point so I waited before I pulled it in. The bumper is custom made 1/4" steel and still works with the front airbags. I have two D-rings, but only one is installed as I have to bore the other hole out so the pin will fit through.

blackadder

Reaction score
Have wanted to do my own oil but the random venting of the air suspension spooks me. I guess if you put it to off-road height, disconnect battery and use jacks you should be good.......right? Need to get some jackstands!

Earing2008

Reaction score
If you are brave enough to get under it and change your own oil I would suggest adding some never-seize to the skid plate bolts as a few frozen bolts always spoil the fun. I decided to change my own after I found out the dealer wanted $150 for an oil chg with Synthetic!

blackadder

Reaction score
Yes, it kills me to take it to someone else. For the cost they charge for mediocre filter and oil......you can put the best in your car and know that you did it right. Some of these quick oil change places scare me. Not as much as getting pinned under the Rover though..lol. :eek:

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the suspension dropping as it vents. I've had it in access mode and I've been clear of any objects. I have the 2.5" rod lift so that may be the case. They charged me $55 for ONE air filter at a European auto shop the first time I had it serviced. I got all of my filter for $2 more plus free shipping.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of DIY oil changes. They are so cheap when I do it myself, and over time you accumulate tools and pattern to help make it a very fast job. I typically change the oil and rotate the tires in about 30-45 minutes. The best part is that includes some up close and personal time checking for leaks underbody (I scoot myself all the way back to the rear diff) and checking the brake pads.

One thing that I have used that really helped are a good set of ramps. I get the front end up high and it really controls the jet of oil that shoots out initially. I can actually avoid getting it on the cross member and if I place the oil pan just right, even catch all of the oil :) Of course if I forget to move the oil pan the flow slows and it ends up dribbling straight down to the ground :(

It also allows me plenty of space to work. There may be a very small amount of oil still left in the sump, but I don't worry too much about it.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I enjoy doing them myself as well. This was the first time I did it on my LR3. Not hard at all. Saved me over $200 as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112