Tips from My "DIY Oil Change"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does the dealer charge? Last time I had them do it was way way back and I think it was $60. I was thinking about that as I spent $43 on oil alone last weekend (not too long ago quarts were $2 each), wondering what the charge is now?

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local Land Rover dealership charges $120 per hour on labor and $10.33 per quart of synthetic. They add a "tool" charge as well which varies and of course you pay a bit more from the dealership for LR genuine parts. I did the full change almost $150 cheaper by doing it myself.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on average my dealer does it for about $100 +/-

nsoudah

Reaction score
Any issue with going from standard Castrol 5/30 to say Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30? Also, do you really have to buy a new drain plug every time. Thanks for the help!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't buy a new drain plug every time...I've always reused it. Doesn't leak yet at least.

Earing2008

Reaction score
A new drain plug is not needed everytime and in fact the only time it should need changing is if there is damage to the threads. When switching between Conventional to Synthetic ive I think its best to let the conventional oil drain thoroughly and if you have some old Synthetic oil pour about half a quart through to push out any remaining conventional oil in the pan. There may be some more detailed procedures out there but this should do just fine.

Last edited:

nsoudah

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. Oil change, plugs and air filter done. How tough is the serpentine belt?? It looks tough :|

By the way, if anyone is by a Costco, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30 is $10 off = US$26.99 for 6 qts!

crtfour

Reaction score
I recently bought an '09 and my question is if still under warranty, are oil changes no charge at the dealer? Like you guys I prefer self oil changes, but if they're free for now may as well take advangate of it.

What about brake pads too?

Thanks,

Rob

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes oil changes are (though it's a set number...look it up by vin at the dealer to see how many are left). Brake pads, at least for me, weren't covered.

Earing2008

Reaction score
Brake pads will not be covered as they are considered a "normal wear item". You can search the threads for a lot of posts on options but I've gone to EBC Green Stuff pads with stock rotors and have noticed a good improvement in braking performance. To my knowledge dealers do not carry aftermarket brake components so don't be fooled into using what they have. The 05 - 09 LR's suffered from undersized brakes which will result in poor brake pad life and stopping distance. On the new 4's they've increased the size of the brakes so this shouldn't be as much of an issue anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4