There may be nothing you can do... P0016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! I can cross chains off the list of things to get neurotic about. I'm not going to drive it around with restricted performance codes and/or obvious bad noises coming from the engine.
Well, I'm fortunate in that we average under 5k miles per year for the past few years and now have even more cars, so hopefully even with a somewhat premature issue at 80k miles I still have 5+ years. We'll see what seems like the right move when and if it happens, but the LR4 is otherwise awesome, so probably worth the repair money versus a new one at $80k+ for a car we don't often use.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see what seems like the right move when and if it happens, but the LR4 is otherwise awesome, so probably worth the repair money versus a new one at $80k+ for a car we don't often use.
Mine is a daily driver I bought used to replace a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder that was totaled when I got rear-ended. Local vehicle sold by a private owner with reasonably low miles at a good price. Drove it and liked it. Seemed like a good comp to the Pathfinder. Bought it to drive it. To me "Land Rover" was just a different brand of car, like a Chevy or Mazda. Little did I know...

Now I just squint my eyes and tell myself it's my fancy Ford Explorer.

CPalacay

Reaction score
This thread is very interesting as I my 2013 recently had a P0018 code pop up shortly after doing a service. At 130K, I did the oil change, spark plugs, PCVs, and air filters. Truck drove fine with no issues but after a few days and 100 miles later, the check engine light and restricted performance message came on. Even with the message on, the idle was smooth and there did not seem to be a loss of power. The engine sounded normal so I cleared the code and tried to see if it would come back. The truck is just under 131,000 now and I still haven’t been able to replicate the code. I’m a bit puzzled by it but plan to do the chains in the next few weeks for peace of mind, sourcing all the parts and tools now.

Last edited:

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a daily driver I bought used to replace a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder that was totaled when I got rear-ended. Local vehicle sold by a private owner with reasonably low miles at a good price. Drove it and liked it. Seemed like a good comp to the Pathfinder. Bought it to drive it. To me "Land Rover" was just a different brand of car, like a Chevy or Mazda. Little did I know...

Now I just squint my eyes and tell myself it's my fancy Ford Explorer.
i got my daughter a 2022 cx5 and we love it fwiw!

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is very interesting as I my 2013 recently had a P0018 code pop up shortly after doing a service. At 130K, I did the oil change, spark plugs, PCVs, and air filters. Truck drove fine with no issues but after a few days and 100 miles later, the check engine light and restricted performance message came on. Even with the message on, the idle was smooth and there did not seem to be a loss of power. The engine sounded normal so I cleared the code and tried to see if it would come back. The truck is just under 131,000 now and I still haven’t been able to replicate the code. I’m a bit puzzled by it but plan to do the chains in the next few weeks for peace of mind, sourcing all the parts and tools now.
When my LR4 goes into reduced power mode, it seems like its running on 4 cylinders and its definitely noticeable. It doesn't sound like reduced power mode is functioning properly or there are variations of reduced power mode.

CPalacay

Reaction score
Well, 875 miles later and the P0018-00 came back on while my wife went to run an errand. This is time power was reduced but luckily she was just 2 miles from home and drove back home.

I finally had a chance to look at it today and cleared the code with the GAP tool. I started the engine and it fired right up, no noises or anything out of the ordinary. I checked the intake and exhaust cam values with the engine at idle and they weren’t any different from a few months ago. I put close to 75 miles on it today and it drove perfectly, everything from city traffic to cruising at 75mph on the freeway.

I’m not sure on what path to take here, replace the can sensors or just go all in and do the chains, guides, tensioners, and everything else related to the timing.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t read through the whole thread here, so apologies if it’s already been covered, but I think this could be VVT solenoids or cam positions sensors. I haven‘t changed either on mine, but I understand both are pretty easy to swap out. Personally - I’d be looking at the VVT first, but not sure which one is more likely.

Doesn’t seem like a problem with the timing chain itself would give an intermittent P0018 error. If a timing chain gets out of wack enough to trigger P0018 (i.e., skip a tooth), I believe that error would stick around - it’s not going skip back to the correct position. But with a VVT or sensor failing, you could get an intermittent error.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72