Louder than “normal LR4” engine/idle noises POST timing chain replacement - help my friends! (audio/video link in post!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeViking

Reaction score
Hey guys. Link to video/audio of this thing down near bottom of post. Any help whatsoever is appreciated.

Short Version:
Louder than normal engine sounds/rattle especially at idle. (So much that random strangers walking by are saying things like “is that normal” or “I haven’t seen many diesel LR’s around here” etc etc etc. - this is all on a 5.0L v8 motor that already has had the full timing chain issue done. What to check first / eliminate fear about and/focus on?

FULL DETAILS:
Original motor blew the hell up due to the dreaded timing chain ******** (having not learned about that yet - sigh) @ around 129k original miles.

Instead of paying her off - I got to buy a motor! Bought a 2013 motor (with 50k less miles than my vehicle) that was RE-hauled completely, the timing chain already done while it was out, rebuilt and reinstalled in Fall 2020. Not a single issue since then. Been obsessive about oil changes and fluids and being careful with her ever since.

That motor now has 142k miles on it (vehicle itself at 192k). I’ve never since the rebuilt/replacement motors gotten anywhere near even 8k miles on a full synthetic oil change, except just once a few months back, pushed it to about 11k before a full synthetic (I was topping off manually while it was overdue). This louder than normal noise began during that period and I figured that a full drink and flush of full synthetic would bring it back down to “normal levels of loudness” - and while it did get marginally quieter, it still feel much “louder than the normal LR4 loud”, especially when idled.
Anyone with a better ear than mine, please advise what to look for/ have checked / etc and in what order to confirm or deny further issues. I feel like I’ve always had to coach shops into what I need and want done ever since owning this thing, so that’s what I’m looking for here.

May be something terrible in the motor - or may be something exhaust related - or need plugs, or a fuel filter, or a damn fan is loose and rattling around. Just needing some direction. I need this thing to keep going for me and am as usual, tighter than I would like to be and need to get creative to make it last!

Current Codes (and the existing engine light at the moment) is due to needing a couple sensors:

Looks like:
• Bank-2/Sensor-2: “Heated exhaust gas oxygen sensor - circuit slow response”

• Bank-1/Sensor-2: “Heated oxygen sensor heater control circuit” & “Heated oxygen sensor heater resistance”

(Posted a pic of the above codes specifically)

No other codes outside of an e-brake electronic switch module that needs replacing (so in the meantime, the e-brake is manually disengaged completely)

Here is a link to a video for anyone to listen and potential advise!

Attachments

• 38CDF2E9-7032-4325-B0D2-0544C5DDA422.png
    38CDF2E9-7032-4325-B0D2-0544C5DDA422.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 39

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound normal, for sure. If I were you I'd try to localize it more using a mechanic's stethoscope or even just a rod of some kind.

Do you KNOW that the chain was done, or are you taking the seller's word for it? What's the rest of the story on that 2013 motor? Why was it overhauled? Who did the work?

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something is loose; there's also a tick tick noise; an underlying noise rather than a predominant noise. Have you tried taking off the skid plate and looking from underneath and then at the same time using your hands to check for loose parts? I think the stethoscope is also a good idea; certainly the noise when you're looking from the angle of the oil filter (1min 18secs) is different. How does it sound when you gently rev the engine, I'm guessing the frequency of the noise changes but does it get louder; how about when you're driving?

Sorry you have to deal with this.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with @Longtrail on this and say it sounds more like something is loose. The underlying noises sound like the normal / typical LR4 valve train to me. Was the different sound at 1min 18secs due to the noise echoing off the engine cover as he raised it up? Definitely heard that sound increase though.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the fan is hitting the shroud.
Your motor mounts look like they are sagging. Indicated by the intake tube sitting on the fan shroud.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds plasticky as well so agree with the other replies. 11k is 17.5kms on an oil change interval. Don't do that again lol. About double of what is reasonable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72