The annual 19 inch tire question! Whattya got? Whattya like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber doesn't feel hard at all to me. It feels VERY sticky, like a brand new outdoor basketball.

Then again, I haven't mounted them yet. They are still in the package! A few thousand spins with 6000 lbs on top of them will likely change that.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Just installed the Zeons, so far they're great.

$999, shipped and installed.

I'm about to order a set of 4 but for $1179 installed locally. How are your LTZ tires working out for you so far? Any issues with wear, noise, cracks, etc? I've had 2 sets of ATRs and now looking for something with a bit more tread even though I'm not on trails that often. Thanks

sprale

Reaction score
My wife really wants AT tires, but not wanting to put the money into 18" tires and 18" wheels right now. It came to us with a set of Michelin Synchrones that were great until they just wore down, but were consistent all the way to the end of their life. I'm inclined to look at a set of Latitudes given the feedback on the forums. We're looking to move to WA state, somewhere on the west side of the Cascades, so if I can convince her, we will pick up a set of 18s (Cooper Xeon LTZ or General Grabbers) then and save for moving now. Our 06 is still under 80k, so I think she will still get years of use before getting tired of it and looking for something new.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been on this forum for at least 5 years or so now...and have never before seen a post that starts with: "My wife really wants AT tires..." until now.

She sounds like a keeper!

As for the tires, I'd do some research and make sure that Cooper has worked through the sidewall cracking issues that the Zeons were prone to. If you can check that box, then I'd give them a thumbs up; I ran them for about a year myself. I haven't seen the Generals in-person but they pass the eyeball test to me in pictures.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I took off the Cooper Zeons and put on the Nokian winter tires & wheels. After about 20K miles, the Coopers may now be a little louder than when they were new but that doesn't bother us. I carefully inspected the sidewalls...no cracks at all. Just a scrape mark, probably from a rock when off road a few weeks ago. After winter, I will probably get a set of Zeons for the LR4 as well.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been on this forum for at least 5 years or so now...and have never before seen a post that starts with: "My wife really wants AT tires..." until now.

She sounds like a keeper!

Haha, I'd say!!! Sprale, I just had to convince my wife that my new Open Country AT2's were a necessity.... She digs them now though (Whether she admits it or not)!

Trynian

Reaction score
My wife just says do what ever you feel is best. Probably because it keeps me in the garage more.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
As for the tires, I'd do some research and make sure that Cooper has worked through the sidewall cracking issues that the Zeons were prone to. If you can check that box, then I'd give them a thumbs up; I ran them for about a year myself. I haven't seen the Generals in-person but they pass the eyeball test to me in pictures.[/QUOTE]

ya so i called cooper to get an update on the tires cracking and they pointed out that tires that experienced cracking was due to the fact that most people put an oversized tire on their truck and or the improper size, and as a result, the sides show cracks. Additionally, they also said that the 19" should not be used on the LR3 b/c its not a V rated tire. the LTZ is H rated and they felt that could jeopardize the tire over time. So now im stumped. I'd get another set of ATRs but supposedly out of production.

someone else i know installed the bridgestone alenzas but it really isnt for trail use..

I'm stumped in the 19" range! I do have a set of 18" wheels but would like to stick with 19" for now.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the person you spoke with at Cooper was concerned about the speed rating.

You won't have any issues running an H-rated tire (130 mph max speed) on an LR3/LR4. The Nokian winter tires I have on both our LR3 & LR4 are just R-rated, which is a top speed of 106 mph.

I would be more concerned with the load rating - you want an "XL" rated tire which can carry heavier loads at higher tire pressures. The Nokian Hakka winter tires I mentioned above are XL rated and handle just fine on our LR3 stuffed with people, food & ski equipment plus a loaded roof box.

The Cooper Zeons have a load index of "111" and "Extra Load" stamped on the sidewall. I like them so much on our LR3 that I will also put a set on our new LR4 is spring.

As for the ATR's - yes they are discontinued. I really liked that tire as well, a little quieter on the highway than the Zeons but not as good off road or in heavy rain.

Last edited:

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I wonder why the person you spoke with at Cooper was concerned about the speed rating.

You won't have any issues running an H-rated tire (130 mph max speed) on an LR3/LR4. The Nokian winter tires I have on both our LR3 & LR4 are just R-rated, which is a top speed of 106 mph.

I would be more concerned with the load rating - you want an "XL" rated tire which can carry heavier loads at higher tire pressures. The Nokian Hakka winter tires I mentioned above are XL rated and handle just fine on our LR3 stuffed with people, food & ski equipment plus a loaded roof box.

The Cooper Zeons have a load index of "111" and "Extra Load" stamped on the sidewall. I like them so much on our LR3 that I will also put a set on our new LR4 is spring.

As for the ATR's - yes they are discontinued. I really liked that tire as well, a little quieter on the highway than the Zeons but not as good off road or in heavy rain.

I see your point. How many miles do you have on the LR3 with the LTZ tires? How far alon did you notice and increase in noise? I'm assuming you too have 19" wheels on both 3/4?

Aside from the 19", if I go with 18" what is the choice tire other than BFG AT? Should I also look at the LTZ 18" and what else? Most of time I'm on road but prefer an AT tire... Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99