Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floridarover

Reaction score
I have been using Lucas power steering (stop leak) fluid for some time with acceptable results. However, today when I went outside I found that it has now come to an end. The seal where the steering shaft enters the gearbox has given way and the levy has broken. Can I get the seal replaced or have the box rebuilt? Or is it best to get a rebuilt box? The power steering pump still works like a champion. Any suggestions and input appreciated.

95 Disco with 126K

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC you can order just a rebuild kit, or just that seal...

I would contact Nathan at Discount British Parts and ask him

boatbuggy AT aol dot com

floridarover

Reaction score
Thanks. Is there anything special to putting that seal in? Hopefully it can be done without taking the steering box out.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Like any work on a rover, it could take 10 minutes or 10 hours depending on how things go and if you have all the tools to do the job.

I would recommend removing it, this will cause the work time to be at least 3 - 4 hours for someone that hasn't done it before.

I would also recommend if you have the steering box out to change and hoses that need to be changed while you are there.

Here is the break down of the PS Box... hope it helps.

Attachments

• PS break down.jpg
    PS break down.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 55
  • PS INFO.jpg
    PS INFO.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 52

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace the hoses since you are already in there. Alantic british has a hose kit for pretty cheap also. I have replaced other hoses and wished I had replaced them all instead of just one and I was into it a month later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635