Spray Painting Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delray

Reaction score
Hey, what do the spacers accomplish (since these are stock wheels - right?) Just push the wheel farther toward the outside. Is it an aesthetic thing? Mine are already really pushed out having a different backspace/offset (aftermarket). I did not know if that was good or not good :) Thanks.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, what do the spacers accomplish (since these are stock wheels - right?) Just push the wheel farther toward the outside. Is it an aesthetic thing? Mine are already really pushed out having a different backspace/offset (aftermarket). I did not know if that was good or not good :) Thanks.

Spacers just push the wheels further out. Unless you need them to clear larger wheels or wider tires, they are just an aesthetic thing. I'm sure you've seen trucks with wheels that stick out well past the fenders... many of them are running giant spacers (or negative offset wheels). You'll hear horror stories about spacers, but I've also heard great reviews, so it just depends what you're looking for. My wheels have a low offset as-is, but I have always thought about adding spacers. We'll see :biggrin:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is true that spacers are mainly used for esthetics.

In my case, I'm using them to clear the brake calipers (front) on my LR4 to be able to fit 18" LR3 rims.

The actual real use for a spacer is to widen the track in order to have a more "planted" vehicle when taking corners at high speed. Their main use is track, a lot of people will use them in rally racing as well as off-road racing as the wider stance track keeps the vehicle more stable.

If you already have a low offset, using spacers might push the wheels out the arch (which could be illegal depending where you live).

As for me, I'm happy to be able to have 18" tires and I can not lie the truck looks really badass like this ;)

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always loved the look of a little bit of tire sticking out past the fender, but it is definitely illegal in some states. Here's a couple photos I took today where you can see my tires stick out slightly past the fenders. The first photo is at a slight angle, but you'll get the idea.
my3u4uba.jpg
mu8u6equ.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels look great! I actually just washed my truck... I rarely use tire shine anymore since it makes a mess because of my low offset, but after seeing your photo I'm going out to put some on my truck right now! Haha
Haha, I'm sure it does on yours. I don't know how you apply it... I've been using a sponge applicator for a couple years and its cut down on the overspray and gives a thinner coat so it doesn't fly off when you start moving!

I've always loved the look of a little bit of tire sticking out past the fender, but it is definitely illegal in some states. Here's a couple photos I took today where you can see my tires stick out slightly past the fenders. The first photo is at a slight angle, but you'll get the idea.
my3u4uba.jpg
mu8u6equ.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
love the stance already.... spacers with your wheels would look good!

Matt, your ride looks very nice! Great satin finish too! Thanks again!
Thanks Jayson, I appreciate it again!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the black rims on white rovers (but im a little biased)

IMG_8538.jpg

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice setup on the rig Morrisdl, great combo of accessories!

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plasti dipped wheels and wipe new trim application

Here is my LR3 with plasti dipped wheels. I did them in early November and they still look incredible. It cost me only $25 to do all the wheels. I live in the Northeast and we've had some pretty harsh weather this winter and the wheels have held up so far. The secret to apply the plastidip to the wheels is light multiple layers to have a strong finish. I did about 8 light coats on each wheel. I also used wipe new restorer for all my black plastic trim, wheel arches, bumper cover and it restored them to new. I applied the stuff on last year summer and they still look great. Stuff really works.

Attachments

• IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    850.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5022.jpg
    IMG_5022.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 46

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mx468, i like seeing your exterior color on the LR3... I don't see it too often and looks great.

I haven't used plasti dip yet, but am impressed that it is holding up through the winter without any issues. The salt alone would have had me worried! Thanks for a different recommendation on the trim... yours looks good. Is wipe new the stuff on the infomercial?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM