Power steering help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen11

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 05 lr3 4.4 which has a stiff notchy feeling in the steering, which is making it tough to drive. I have flushed the power steering and sprayed wd40 on the steering column joints, but the the notchy feeling is still there.

Is it time to change the power steering pump? Could it be the rack?

Thanks for the input.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned the mileage on the unit. I have 129k miles on mine. I believe you might have similar problems to mine. If you have the vehicle shut off, and wobble the steering wheel to the left and right, perhaps you can hear the clunks, which will help you identify the sound. You can then feel the left and right tie rod ends, and see which side may be bad.

I also had some looseness contributing to the problem which was a worn lower steering shaft (the part with a u-joint in it).. and I ordered a tie rod end kit, which is available that come with all inner / outer ends + boots, etc.

Your problem could be similar, or it could be ball joints etc, you'll need to diagnose it.

Glen11

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the reply. My LR3 has 140k miles.

I guess I did not explain the problem properly. The steering is stiff, like the truck has No power steering. I have jacked it up the front and have turned the steering wheel right to left and back. When I do turn the wheel it will Go then Stop Go Stop Go Stop like it is getting jammed then unjamming then jamming again.

Could it be the pump not sending fluid to the rack and pinion?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of pumps going out occasionally. Have you checked the fluid level. There is a pressure test procedure in the service manual, your dealer or local independent should be able to test it for sure.

System operating pressure 110 bars (11000 kPa)(1595 lbf/in²)
Pump relief valve operating
pressure 114 ± 4 bar (11400 ± 400 kPa) (1653 ± 58 lbf/in²)
Fluid flow rate - constant 8.8 ± 0.5 litre/min (15.4 ± 0.8 pints/min) (9.2 ± 0.5 US quarts/min)

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like worn lower shaft U joint.

i had the same symptoms and decided to buy a new one and replace it , but first I followed an advice from a British forum members regarding spraying the U joint with some thick lubricant.

I understand, that you already have try that approach, but in reality you have to REALLY spray the f**k out of that area, turning the wheels a couple of times , so the spray reaches and penetrates all crevices around and inside U joint.

It worked for me to the point , that I postponed replacing with new part altogether, at least for now,well it has been at least two years and all is good.

Good luck.

Glen11

Reaction score
Repaired

Thanks again for the replies.

I sprayed the steering column U joint with Rust Check lubricant after spraying the joint with WD40 a day earlier and now the steering wheel turns great.

Cost, $12 for a can of lubricant. Cheap at 20 times the price.

Till next time. :proud:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That being the case, then consider replacing the part, it's not that expensive. There is also a rubber part, which could deteriorate.

tmill051

Reaction score
I second the u-joint spray. Easy to access from the top and look down there. Hit it with a good oil then followed up with white lithium grease for some stick power. I think alot of dealers just see that's its a bit rusty and say "well its got to be replaced". They don't get paid for spraying things with penetrating oil! Spray, turn the wheel, and repeat. Works for many of the guys here

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice,

My steering is stiff, and doesn't auto center once the turn has gone far enough. I'll check that u-joint and spray it as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4