Opinions on best year for a used Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a current early 2005 LR3 owner and am looking to get rid of it. Too many problems and I'm getting nervous as I approach the end of the warranty in the next year or so. I am interested in purchasing either an older Disco or Range Rover.

I know this is a hard question, but is there any particular year of Disco that stands out above the rest? Or a year to stay away from? I'm looking at some used Discos in the 2000-2004 range, but am willing to look at older ones assuming they are reliable and won't cost me $4000 a year in repairs.

What can I expect as far as reliability (this will be my primary vehicle)? Is there anything that is a common failure point in these vehicles?

I guess I want to be sure that repair costs don't end up costing me more per year than just keep my LR3 with higher payments.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice. I will be posting a similar thread in the Range Rover forum.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This a area that is kind of gray and up to the persons opinion.

I think the best years will be the last in the model year.

D1 = 99
D2 = 04

D1 = depending on how it was taken care of could be a very reliable vehicle, but not as comfortable, more off road capable.

D2 = more comfortable, but more electrics to have issues with.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This a area that is kind of gray and up to the persons opinion.

I think the best years will be the last in the model year.

D1 = 99
D2 = 04

D1 = depending on how it was taken care of could be a very reliable vehicle, but not as comfortable, more off road capable.

D2 = more comfortable, but more electrics to have issues with.

2004 was the only year a D2 had center diff lock, right?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
04 was the only official year for CDL in the D2. The 99.5, 00, and early 01 models just needed a cable to switch it on.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
04 was the only official year for CDL in the D2. The 99.5, 00, and early 01 models just needed a cable to switch it on.

I installed an '04 CDL shifter in my '01 D2, it's Sweeeet, I can tell a big difference when it is engaged. Seems to have better traction and ETC doesn't come on as much.

rctaylor

Reaction score
What's the value of a center diff lock? I have a 99 DII and am wondering about how to put such a beast on my truck. If all it needs is a cable, how difficult is that?

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D1 Versus D2

Start off I never owned a D2 only test drove one. Talked to my mechanic on a D2 and he said that if a D2 breaks down it will be more expensive to fix. More electrical can go wrong. D1 versus D2 I like to refer to them in the last terminator movie. The new terminator liquid metal PORCHA style versus the old terminator TANK style. If your looking for off road the D1 will be a better choice (TANK) or if your excitment is casual driving D2(PORCHA). I beleive the D1 is standard with CDL. HELPED out alot in sand dunes.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
D1 is better off road because it is shorter (same wheel base, but shorter) it comes standard with CDL, and less electrics.

D2 is considered the better on road vehicle for basically the opposite reasons.

rctaylor

Reaction score
I've taken this DII several times now off road on some boulder strewn High Sierra 4WD trails. Minor rock crawling, loose shale, short water crossings and narrow turns. For this level of 4WD this truck worked great except I think I'll need to buy an air compressor so I can air down on some of the trails. But otherwise I was quite pleased. Now I wouldn't probably tackle more advanced rock crawling trails without some modifications and help but so far I love the vehicle. For my tastes, where 4WD driving is for the purposes of getting back into some backcountry alpine lakes for fly fishing, this gives me all the power I need and a little more space to pack stuff in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo