New LR4 Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is that if you know they break and cost a lot to fix them, what was the real reason you chose LR4? I have an 06 and 120K miles, I am done with warranty so I am skiddish now. Here is what I have found I have decided not to do a new LR4...reasons all major issues that have cropped up from 05 to 15 model years still exist and LR apparently does not care. Looking at the sales numbers from 05 to today LR4 and LR in general is in the tank. 2007 to 2013 (+7000 sold in a year) that tanked to +4600 in 2014, that says something. My issue has been, it is just not enough service in US/Canada and these things need improvement on reliability and durability. Ford made vast improvements, they are the single reason I bought the 06, now Tata has them and headed the wrong direction yet again. I argue on this forum that Toyota is the gold standard for reliability that every company should strive for because it sells cars along with a good aftermarket (ie jeep, which is a damn lifestyle), Escalade and Tahoe outsold the LR4 in 1 month. The LR4 (Discovery) is a life style but you better promote the right lifestyle with it, its about adventure NOT Paris Hilton and Posh Spice which most people despise. I will not own a GM product since they took the bailout, but this says something about sales and the price point is about the same. LR is not fixing the problems (well Tata), your LR4 will eat breaks and rotors, you will have to replace the control arm bushings around 40-50K and it will sit with minor issues, since there are not many places that work on them or even have a dealership near buy. I bought one because I "tried" to believe there bullet proof, I grew up watching Marlin Perkins of wild kingdom drive them and I wanted one period. Now, little disappointed can't get much aftermarket, there unique and a great ride, costly to fix and parts are seldom in stock. I love the truck, but only because I can't get a "New" Defender and now there killing that Legend, they back peddled on the new Discover "Sport" marketing...they finally decided that it was the LR2 replacement. Those of us who kept up with the initial release saw the backlash that they got calling it the Discovery and not identifying what is was actually replacing. We will se what the new Discovery will be, if someone like Posh Spice is marketed as designing it like the **** Evoque I am walking way from LR all together.

Not even sure where to start with all this nonsense... First, sales numbers dropped because of limited production capacity and JLR prioritized production of the new FF Range and Range Sport. Far more profitable to make the others, so makes financial sense to do so. For move evidence of strong demand even in light of declining production, see the used market. Stopping production for LR4s has created a distortion in the used market, driving prices up. (People wanting the V8 have also helped support prices of the late V8 versions.) We wanted to buy a used car to save money as we did with our LR3, but the price delta to a new '15 was absurdly small so made no sense to buy used.

Regarding buying an 06 because of Ford's influence - they may have added features like terrain response but certainly didn't improve reliability initially. I have had an 06 for nine years now so speaking from experience. I would also imagine data would show you far more issues with 2005, 06, etc. LR3s than 2014-15 LR4s. They still have plenty of issues and eat things like brakes (why can't anybody seem to spell that correctly...) and bushings, but those are in part downsides to the incredible driving dynamics on and offroad for a nearly 6,000 lb truck. At least they aren't equipping the LR4s with the Wrangler HPs... :smile:

Finally, they have a smaller dealer network because they are a smaller company, not exactly an issue. If you don't have a dealer nearby and that makes you uncomfortable, buy a car from a manufacturer with a broader network and move on.

Interpol

Reaction score
I am also expecting my vehicle to arrive in late april, i ordered the hse fuji white with the 19" black pack, upgraded audio, and vision assist.

As for their reliability issues, i don't think making them in china or brazil is such a wise move.

I liked it for many of the same reasons that have already been stated. I need something that i can use to load up large cargo every now & then.
Being in canada with the snow i much prefer an suv over an awd car, the reasons should be obvious.
The boxy styling of it is attractive and i dislike the direction they are taking the brand with the whole evoke kinda look. Not a fan of the new ford explorer... i mean discovery sport.
The fact that you don't see many of them around is also appealing.

If this is the last year that this boxy style is going to be made then i imagine that the residual of these vehicles should actually be pretty decent as there doesn't seem to have been many sold in comparison to other brands and some fans of the styling will have no choice but to buy 2nd hand.

phil1ben

Reaction score
@ Sog

One more thing. All of our local dealers agreed in writing when service is required or scheduled to pick up my LR4 at my office or home, drop off a loaner car at no charge and return my vehicle when done. Between that convenience and the warranty I'm ready for a leak here and there or a control arm bushing or some other malady - all covered under warranty.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also expecting my vehicle to arrive in late april, i ordered the hse fuji white with the 19" black pack, upgraded audio, and vision assist.

As for their reliability issues, i don't think making them in china or brazil is such a wise move...

I don't put too much worry into the assembly location. A ton of US manufacturers have moved to Mexico and others are following suit. Most of the parts themselves are reliably created elsewhere though. Hell, even BMW builds every SUV (X3, X4, X5, X6) in the USA now, but the majority of the parts are still coming from Germany. It's really an assembly process.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
I bought my LR4 because I like interesting and capable cars. I previously had a 2004 V8 allroad. That car was interesting and very capable, but it had its fair share of issues (stupid air suspension, starter, water intrusion). As my family grew, I needed a larger, interesting and capable car. It's been 5 months and I am very happy.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great points, yes they all make back door deals.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Brakes, it's a spell checker issue" word correct is even worse. Far from nonsense, point being LR needs to set a standard that some of us except. Sales dropped because of production?? Sales tanked because people ran away from them in droves during the recession (lets just talk Discovery, the real name) and that trend has continued today, repair cost, time is shop all major factors. Ford turned the company around period that should not even be a point of discussion. Engine problems from the previous Disco2 dropped dramatically and reliability went up. An example now, engine problems have started to increased. There is a slight decrease in the suspension issues (Yes brakes have been upgraded) and electronics problems have increased, this is a major annoyance for anyone I talk with even on there vehicles, it's becoming toooooo much. You have to read articles other than those of us who really like this thing for some odd reason to get a good perspective, but for a vehicle to improve you have to criticize it and rightfully so. Motor Trend says.... "Off-roading is at the core of Land Rover DNA". Is that true? I believed this, past tense. Has LR (Disco) stuck to that motto? I don't believe they have and they are going the wrong direction. Data already shows they will and are losing more new owners.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Sogs:

If I wanted the most reliable, care-free SUV I would probably have bought a Toyota or Honda and not an LR4. However, that was not my criteria (or my wife's). We like box shaped cars. I like the E9 and E30 BMWs from the 70s and 80s. Love the late 80s Aston Martin Volante Convertible and the 23 window VW bus from the 60s. We looked at the G-Wagon but frankly don't get it. The doors were flimsy and there was no more room than the LR4. We did like the RR but could not justify the bump in price. Other than that, there was not much on the market that appealed to us. Porsche Cayenne - no thanks. Mercedes looked like a fancy Toyota or Nissan. Sorry to any Mercedes owners....just my opinion.

We bought the LR4 because it was different understanding that it may have reliability issues. That is why we also bought the 100,000 extended mile warranty from LR. That is the reason we bought the LR4.

Amen. There are a lot of "SUVs" out there and people will argue the reliability/issues. But we all have different reasons for choosing a vehicle. Like phil1ben, rock solid reliability probabilities were not my top priority. There was no Toyota or Honda or BMW or Mercedes that was able to match what I was looking for. I really, really tried to talk myself into a Land Cruiser or an LX570. But there were a number of things that made them the wrong fit. I could have been safely and reliably disappointed when I tried to do some things for which the LC was not well suited. I had an Acura which was great on the highway but was terrible off road - I wasn't looking for a crossover. Same with the Mercedes I looked at. BMW's cargo area was too small for what I want to (or rather "actually") do. My criteria were different. My priorities were different. In just the 9 months or so since we have had our LR4 I have gone places and done things that I would not have dreamed I could do in other SUVs - and done it in far more comfort than would have been the case in a Jeep or a 4Runner. Now, for people who don't care about those things then other criteria become more important. Cool.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen. There are a lot of "SUVs" out there and people will argue the reliability/issues. But we all have different reasons for choosing a vehicle. Like phil1ben, rock solid reliability probabilities were not my top priority. There was no Toyota or Honda or BMW or Mercedes that was able to match what I was looking for. I really, really tried to talk myself into a Land Cruiser or an LX570. But there were a number of things that made them the wrong fit. I could have been safely and reliably disappointed when I tried to do some things for which the LC was not well suited. I had an Acura which was great on the highway but was terrible off road - I wasn't looking for a crossover. Same with the Mercedes I looked at. BMW's cargo area was too small for what I want to (or rather "actually") do. My criteria were different. My priorities were different. In just the 9 months or so since we have had our LR4 I have gone places and done things that I would not have dreamed I could do in other SUVs - and done it in far more comfort than would have been the case in a Jeep or a 4Runner. Now, for people who don't care about those things then other criteria become more important. Cool.

Damnit! It's posts like these that sway me back over to the LR4 camp just when I thought I was solidly settled in the domestic camp.... ;)
Sum-beach.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damnit! It's posts like these that sway me back over to the LR4 camp just when I thought I was solidly settled in the domestic camp.... ;)
Sum-beach.

Ha ha! These decisions can be tough. It all comes down to your requirements/needs and then your tastes. There are probably a lot of people driving LR4s who don't need the capabilities. Also a lot of people whose "tastes" may be better served by other "Suburban Utility Vehicles" that have more than adequate capabilities and possibly a better reliability record. Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo