MY2013 - Order Now to Get the V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a 2013 today to replace my 2010. I was going to wait a month or two, but don't want to be shut out of the V8. I was able to get $3000 off of an MSRP of $64,170, which I think is decent for a factory order. I didn't negotiate the trade of my 2010 LUX yet, but I think there is pretty strong demand, so I'm confident I'll do better than what was implied by lease residual values back in 2010. One word of advice from a current owner who usually gets every option except the heavy duty package and RES (an iPad is much better) - the one option you'd be crazy not to get is the Vision Assist Package. The upgraded lights are amazing - it's like daytime when they're on. If you take a drive at night you'll be convinced. I also went for the new color Causeway Gray, which was an $1,800 upcharge - not sure it's worth it, but I do have to look at it every day, so had to get it.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Causeway Gray is an amazing colour. Good deal as well. Did you get the extended leather?

After seeing the paint upcharges when I configured last night I think I'm going to go with a standard free color.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Causeway Gray is an amazing colour. Good deal as well. Did you get the extended leather?

After seeing the paint upcharges when I configured last night I think I'm going to go with a standard free color.

I was surprised to see that Causeway Gray is a lot closer to black than it is to my 2010 Stornoway (which is darker than the current Orkney). I thought I liked Causeway after seeing it on the web, but it's even nicer in person.

I did get the extended leather. The double stitch top of the instrument cover is especially nice.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible, seems totally reasonable. Eric is awesome, that was my salesman as well. I wonder... when LR fills the lot with all these Evoques, if the sales staff will swap out their mountain climbing shoes and attire for penny loafers and a tie! They'll definitely have to drop "adventure" out of their brand as well and change it to mini-mall, go beyond.
Thanks, Count!

Hahaha - that's too funny. I like the Evoque for its size and purpose, but I don't want every Land Rover vehicle to become a variant of the Evoque (looks like the 2013 RR and 2014 RRS is kind of taking that form).

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a 2013 today to replace my 2010. I was going to wait a month or two, but don't want to be shut out of the V8. I was able to get $3000 off of an MSRP of $64,170, which I think is decent for a factory order. I didn't negotiate the trade of my 2010 LUX yet, but I think there is pretty strong demand, so I'm confident I'll do better than what was implied by lease residual values back in 2010. One word of advice from a current owner who usually gets every option except the heavy duty package and RES (an iPad is much better) - the one option you'd be crazy not to get is the Vision Assist Package. The upgraded lights are amazing - it's like daytime when they're on. If you take a drive at night you'll be convinced. I also went for the new color Causeway Gray, which was an $1,800 upcharge - not sure it's worth it, but I do have to look at it every day, so had to get it.
Hey horatio8,

Thanks for the information. I totally agree about the Xenon lights - definitely a must have. I currently have a 2011 HSE, which came with the halogens (I don't have Vision Assist). Needless to say, I did upgrade to aftermarket HIDs.

Just one question though, if you get the Lux, I believe that comes with the Xenon lights standard - the Vision Assist package on the Lux gives you the AFS, cameras, auto-high beam, and the trailer assistance. If you get the HSE, the Vision Assist gives you the Xenon brights, since the halogens are standard.

-David

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am pretty sure I am going with Fuji White with the Arabica Interior. I am still up in the air about the extended leather - depends on the deal I get. :)

-David

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the switch to the V6, and while I am biased in favor of the LR4, I've not completely shut the door on alternatives.

One of those alternatives is/was a Ford Explorer Sport. Yeah, not in the same league as far as quality or off-road prowess, but with supplier discount can be had loaded for ~42K. Ironically, it also has a look similar to where LR seems to be headed.

But my real point, and the point of the Explorer sport, is the highly-regarded 3.5L ecoboost V6. It puts out 365hp and 350lb-ft. That's about exactly what the rumored LR4 V6 will put out. On a car with a curb weight of under 5000lbs (or 700-800 lighter than an LR4), it manages only 22mpg hwy and some people say that is optimistic.

So how realistic is it to expect the LR4 V6 to even crack 20mpg hwy?

Just a thought.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way the V6 supercharged (power to weight ratio) for the 2014 LR4 will produce great mileage numbers. The only reason why they're putting this engine in the LR4 is guarantee it'll stay down market against the new RR and RRS - having V6s (chuckle) and won't eat into those larger margin sales. Land Rover is screwing up their entire business model. Sure, they need to meet the new restrictions, yada yada... but their direction is purely Tata driven (more, more, more... maximize, higher margins, profit, profit profit) and they've SOLD out to do so. I don't think the legacy management at LR sold out, they had no choice... Tata owns them and said this is it, or leave. Period. That guys wants big profits, he wants his investment to pay off. He's a business man, not an enthusiast.

I do like the new RR, it's not too Evoque IMO, but the new 2014 RRS is a HUGE disappointment. It's a fat Evoque and it truly looks like the Ford Explorer. How could someone drop 70K on a RRS and have someone come up and ask if they have the new Ford Explorer. I'm not a brand ***** and surely don't care about what people think, but a comment like that would definitely have me second guessing why I bought such an expensive vehicle, that's supposed to be unique and an unmistakable Rover!

If you take the Explorer and black out the windows/including above the waistline and roof, it is difficult to differentiate against the 2014 RRS. That's sad. And as I stated in the RR forum, using the Evoque as a design proxy for the entire LR line is a major mistake and will bite LR big time. They might be able to get more share, meaning, new customers, new to the brand, but long-time LR brand loyal owners will bail on the brand and LR will lose their evangelists! It's the evangelist that drive the seeker!!! Over the long-term, this new direction will back-fire on them big time. Urgh, how could LR be so stupid!

What also concerns me quite a bit, is that if you look back to the early renders of the 2014 RRS, the final product came out pretty darn close. Have you guys seen the renders for the new LR5? It looks like a Mommy mobile. A watered down (a LR2 replacement) strategy... while putting above it, the new Defender beach-buggy. You can clearly see where this is going and it's a shame IMO.

I'm not kidding when I say LR has to remove "adventure" from their marketing slogans. Because the only adventure that'll be left is how far one would stray from the mini-mall. For years, journalist always applauded Land Rover for sticking to their philosophy, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Land Rover took it too far. They're building cars with some off-road capability... but cars so "pretty" and delicate from a design perspective, that they'll never see the day of a UN vehicle in Iraq or Serbia let alone on an off-road trek through the Sierra. Surely wouldn't want to scratch up that pretty little concept car with its fake skid plates.

I'm so damn disappointed. I left the BMW brand (owned BMWs from 1991 to 2008) because they also sold out after producing the e46 3-series, they started value-engineering everything... trying to maximize every single widget... and you could "feel" it in the car, starting with the e90. Then comes along the F30 and F10 and BOTH are a fail - their bread-and-butter. And BMW knows it. Sure, they're US numbers are down month-on-month double-digit, but their WW sales are at record... but that's not because they're actually selling them at that level to "consumers", they're channel stuffing and also including shipments as well as units to their new BMW rental program... to fool their stock holders into believing they're going in the right direction and their decisions to stray away from "their" design philosophy was a good one. Mark my words, it wasn't.

It's ironic that LR is going down the same path as BMW, and I bought into the LR brand, because I didn't think they would. I was proud having my boxy LR4 - something that stood out from the masses... something that wasn't on every block. Where people would ask about it's capabilities, and even starting with a statement such as "Man, I guess you won't have to worry about getting stuck in that thing!" Can you imagine someone saying that now, about the RRS? It won't happen.

LR also is going down a very tricky slope by Evoque-izing their entire line. One of the most unique experience when purchasing a Land Rover was deciding which vehicle fit one's lifestyle. Each model had a purpose and each melded into our experience. Now they'll all look the same... and it'll just be a matter of how much "up-market" cash do I want to spend because I can brag to my banker buddies I got the most expensive Evoque out there! It's a damn shame. Once this concept car fad fades so will LR sales. And with Tata WW sales down quite dramatically, if that continues, and LR gets into a cycle of poor sales for a few years, we won't be seeing the brand around anymore... other than a few Disco IIs and LR4s that were built for purpose.

Last edited:

LR34

Reaction score
...the LR4 is guarantee it'll stay down market against the new RR and RRS...
It's a fat Evoque...

You've only mentioned 4 Land Rover models. There are 12 other models/trims coming, you're going to like one.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey horatio8,

Thanks for the information. I totally agree about the Xenon lights - definitely a must have. I currently have a 2011 HSE, which came with the halogens (I don't have Vision Assist). Needless to say, I did upgrade to aftermarket HIDs.

Just one question though, if you get the Lux, I believe that comes with the Xenon lights standard - the Vision Assist package on the Lux gives you the AFS, cameras, auto-high beam, and the trailer assistance. If you get the HSE, the Vision Assist gives you the Xenon brights, since the halogens are standard.

-David

I think you're correct about the different packages. I'll add that I've found that the high-beam assist works surprisingly well. The adaptive lights are well worth getting. I rarely use the surround cameras, but in 2010 the surround cameras also included a much better backup camera (not sure that's still the case). As you can tell, I highly recommend the Vision Assist Package, if your budget allows it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink