Can't get into Extended mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's where I documented servicing the valve blocks, I believe others have used the O-rings that I used and have had success:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you can select access height, normal, and off road heights? Correct?

You can’t manually select extended mode. It’s automatic when the vehicle senses that it is high centered.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's seems super expensive; I watched a few videos to see how to do the swap and it looked pretty easy; I'm having trouble to quickly find OEM spring/shock prices but even at $600 or $700 per corner that would still be less in parts than they're quoting for either end... Anyway, why replace them if they're OK? If you're leaking first look at the three valve blocks and service them (it's quite easy - apart from extracting the rear block).
Yeah, that is a lot of dough but I'm not confident I can do it on my own out on the street. The front shocks are $1,082 each, the rears are $1,125 each and then $525 to install them.

The air system isn't leaking, I had it tested a couple months ago and I didn't notice any drop at all. I'm worried about an air bag breaking while overlanding. When I go off the highway in the mountains and deserts (which I was previously scheduled to for Monday) I often need to raise the suspension and then lower it again to drive faster. If the bag breaks then I wont be able to get out to the highway again so that was my concern and the idea was to do preventative maintenance. But $7k holy hell, I might as well just wait for it to fail and suck it up when it does.

Just to be clear, you can select access height, normal, and off road heights? Correct?

You can’t manually select extended mode. It’s automatic when the vehicle senses that it is high centered.
Yes. I guess I was out to lunch. I thought I was using extended mode just last week which was one up arrow press after off-road mode.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a lot of dough but I'm not confident I can do it on my own out on the street. The front shocks are $1,082 each, the rears are $1,125 each and then $525 to install them.
Watch some videos first and perhaps see if you can get comfortable with the work? I tend to watch many videos before tackling a job; I then assess which one I trust the most and then oftentimes I'll use it while doing the work. It really depends on the complexity of the work but I try to build my "I can do this" mindset... I think your upside potential to save some $$$ is quite large. I also think you can find struts (air spring and shock) for less money; that seems high.

The air system isn't leaking, I had it tested a couple months ago and I didn't notice any drop at all. I'm worried about an air bag breaking while overlanding. When I go off the highway in the mountains and deserts (which I was previously scheduled to for Monday) I often need to raise the suspension and then lower it again to drive faster. If the bag breaks then I wont be able to get out to the highway again so that was my concern and the idea was to do preventative maintenance. But $7k holy hell, I might as well just wait for it to fail and suck it up when it does.
Good to hear it's not leaking. I hear your concerns! Perhaps investing in something to get you out of these situations might be better, even with new airbags I'm not sure you can guarantee they won't fail when off-roading. I don't offroad so defer to the folks that do... Good luck.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice is if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. My rear air struts are still original with 146k on the clock. They work great. Front and compressor have been done. My experience is that they tend to leak a little before completely blowing. If you want to test for leaking all you do is put the car in off road height and then pull the air suspension relay once you hear the compressor shut off. Then measure the hight from the tires to the fender and leave it over night and make sure each corner has the same height as the did the previous night. I’d all the corners match up the same as they did then your good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635