Must be the time of year....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyRover

Reaction score
After seeing some of the pictures posted lately I thought you all would enjoy some pictures from Land Between the Lakes NRA. Turkey Bay off-road area was closed so we just drove around on some of the public roads.

More pictures are located here (Jeep rescue on page 4): http://public.fotki.com/KyCobra/lr3/

Attachments

• DSC00098-vi.jpg
    DSC00098-vi.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 81

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I recently became a TreadLightly! trainer, so my sensitivity is cranked way up there right now, but it kinda looks like a high impact day to me.

Granted, there's never much mud around where I wheel, and I have no idea what is common or even prudent in your neck of the woods, but.... it looks like you've gone searching for puddles, even ones off the normal road, and made some knarly ruts in the process. Do these dry out, harden and become hazards for horses, mtn bikers, cars, etc..? Do these ruts cause excessive erosion by changing the drainage slopes of the road?

DSC00081-vi.jpg

DSC00091-vi.jpg

I'm not trying to be the Mud Police or anything, I LOVE seeing you get out and get your truck dirty, but I also want to make sure we are being responsible in our use of the outdoors. If we don't use it properly, we will lose it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could REALLY help to protect the ecosystem and leave the polluting fossil fuel burning beast at home and ride the mountain bike or the horse. Honestly, those are(most likely) just unmaintained county roads. On this side of the Mississippi, they pretty much all look like that. Horses and mountain bikes could also trip over all the rocks you have out there, but you can't pick em all up!
I'm all for protecting a riverbank covered with delicate plants that keep it from eroding away, but I don't think that these roads/trails are in need of saving. Just my $.02

Ky, did you make it through where the Jeep got stuck? Looks like a fun day, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

KyRover

Reaction score
Nwoods,

Don't worry about being the MUD POLICE, and I understand what your concerns are and this is a valid point. Unfortunately around here we seem to get a lot of mud and the erosion has been a problem in some areas, so I think you spreading the awareness of the problems caused is a good thing. I know that just you bringing this issue up will make me more conscious of the problem in the future.

KyRover

Reaction score
roverman,

The stock Goodyears and the slimy clay/mud are not a good mix so I went about half way through the mud and then took a turn-off before the hole that the jeep got struck in. I tired to stay out of the deep stuff since I figured it would be much easier for the LR3 to pull the Jeep out than the other way around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4