Mud Flaps - Anybody Happy With Them??? Cool or Uncool..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with yrbender on 1 of 2 counts. The running boards don't belong. I screwed up when I got those. The mud flaps are alright as long as one has the mindset that they are "expendable" offroad.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody tried this one for getting through the thicket..

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/

Are these guys serious? Wow, what a great way to have your vehicle look like crap. Kind of reminds me of those folks who put covers on their leather seats so that the next person buying the vehicle can have nice seating yet you spend 3 years sitting on a cheap seat cover.

Now what would be better would be XEPL Clear Bra but using a bulk wrap. I had this on my track-day Z06 with full hood cover, sills, arches and door panels and it was fantastic for avoiding rock chips, rubber smudges and general flying debris damage. Quite thick but very resilient and didn't look like that cheap and nasty looking road wrap stuff. In fact it was basically invisible other than a very very slight orange-peel finish.

For the ultimate protection of course you could always source some big sheets of the 3M original helicopter blade protection film :wink:

I have the mudflaps and they've survived ok so far. The running boards ... just hate those. My vehicle originally came as a package with them and I had those suckers off in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Then again I like my white plastic vinyl taped all over the vehicle
so Im a lilttle different"

..plastic vinyl...
that may be what I am looking for..
A few years age when the cars were made of steel there was a guy in Canada making custom fit panel from magnetic sheets, couple of guys had them on their Cherokees during one of the Jeep Jambories I went to... worked out pretty nice ..I was trying to do that for my Disco II ..unlike my Jeep the plastic and aluminium body killed that idea..there was also a spray product thick bees wax like consistency one would spray the car before going off road ..the mud would not stick and the tree branches would not scratch the car that much.. I could not remember where I have seen this product..well
What is the story with the vinyl panels taped on..???????
I do often drive through brush and thicket especially on a hunting/camping trips up north..
I am curious!!!

It is magnetic vinyl the LR3 body is not Alluminumumumum only the hood and hatch. Itape the edges down so branches dont lift it off. I can drive 90 on the freeway (not that I do that freequently) with no problems. I did it with a 50' x 2' roll took awhile to make the pannels but worth it.

Attachments

• LR3 PICS.jpg
    LR3 PICS.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 91

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is great, I do not mind to scratch the car here and there yet some places I had to drive through...just would not do it, one can buff up most of those..
Thw magnetic panels will be my project one can paint it as well, like camo...cool
The people that I had seen using those would put them just before going off the road..

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YA I suppose you can paint it you can also get different colors.
I can make the panels up for you if you want.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....what else can you tell us about them? So, do you re-use the same panels over and over? How many cycles (on and off) can they tolerate? How long to they take to attach? How much would you charge to make them up?

I have invested in a good system of polish and my paint looks pretty good, but this would help...as long as once it's on the car, it's ON and doesn't slide around and cause more paint-scuffing than branches would.

Other than making the rig look like a Bronco II, I think it would be good for the more narrow, brushy areas I traverse.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a set of all four mudflaps when I first bought my LR3 (08), but soon had to remove the front ones when I got the rock sliders. So I have a set of nearly new front flaps if anyone wants them. PM me and I'll give you a good deal. I like the mudflaps, because they keep the mud and little rocks and dirt from flipping up on the side of your paint. Notice the difference in this picture between the front, which no longer has mud flaps, and the rear which does.
DSC_0594.jpg

I do wish they were a little more flexible, like the old Disco ones. But they look great on the LR3 and aren't much to replace if you goof one up. I've been surprised how well they bounce back after getting bent back on a rock or something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge