LR4 air suspension pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I did a little wheeling today on a trail people rated as moderate at the most online. Let's say it wasn't quite that. As I was climbing pancake hill here in Cleveland national park in San Diego I had to set the suspension to rock mode the ruts were deep and lots of rock to go over. I'm very happy how my LR4 did after all I made it to the top but I did get like 8-9 suspension faults on my way up there and the pump kept shutting down due to overheating. Is there a pump upgrade I can pickup? I was going very slow but like I said it was not a moderate climb.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415692147851.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415692147851.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415692207760.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415692207760.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415692254956.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415692254956.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415692303660.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415692303660.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 40

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you changing the suspension height frequently? Pump should only turn on once you have selected a taller height (then fills the air reservoir once again). My pump doesn't toggle itself on and off on its own.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be a sign of your air compressor needing to be replaced.
If you do replace it get the newer version and you'll have to install the bracket you received with your sliders.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remind me again Ivan, is your LR4 permanently lifted (with Johnson rods or similar)? Also, were you getting these errors prior to installing the Tactical sliders?

Last edited:

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Im running Johnson rods, the pump was running a lot since the ruts were so deep I was on 2-3 wheels a lot. It was tons of fun and I wasn't surprised the pump was overheating hell I tried to tackle it on normal height but even with that it had a hard time keeping up. All the faults cleared after I reset the suspension but I know that's cuz of having 1-2 tires in the air and on off road mode.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are rods lifted, and in off-road mode, and in extreme articulation, chances of you hitting the upper limit and overextending the suspensions (which will instantly throw a fault) are greatly increased over someone running stock in the same scenario. That's the limitation of "dumb" mechanical rods, which increase the height of your car by 2.5" regardless of how much your suspensions' height sensors say they have left in articulation. An "intelligent" tool such as IIDTool may not allow you to lift as much for that reason.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I know that's why I got all those faults (IID tool was ordered last week and its on its way from UK) I just want to know if there's a pump that can keep up with a trail like this?
It was tons of fun and didn't have much of a issues with approach angle or departure angle.
If any of you guys are in the San Diego area and want to try it let me know cuz I will go up there again after I get the IID tool of course.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, I don't know why the pump would turn on and off repeatedly without forcing height changes via the height selector. There's basically an air tank that is kept at a set pressure, when you increase the height selector, it will use that air to raise the truck and the compressor will run to keep that tank up to pressure.

Articulation shouldn't force the pump on and off. You should have already changed the height once and left it, no?

Am I way off base here guys?

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the height faults decreased the pressure on that tire. On a few obstacles the back tire was completely tuck in .

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the height faults decreased the pressure on that tire. On a few obstacles the back tire was completely tuck in .

That's weird maybe one of your airbags is not in good shape...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635