LR4 2011 HSE Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some folks visit this site trying to get some info on the LR4 as they might be on the fence if they should pick one up or not.

As a Noob my biggest concern was reliability. Let’s face it, if you don’t own one, the only thing you hear from all your friends is how they spend more time in the shop than on the road.

I think the reliability issues have been somewhat addressed ever since Tata motors picked up the line. In any event, it’s hard to argue that they haven’t done a better job than Ford.

I picked up my 2011 Nara Bronze HSE on Aril 16th of this year.
Since then, I’ve added almost 5000 miles to it. It’s been in a snowstorm and off road (although nothing serious). Two weeks ago I ran it through a huge mud puddle and haven’t been able to bring myself to wash it. I know it’s probably bad for the paint, the truth is, I just don’t care. It looks better with mud all over it.

The truck is everything you would have imagined. Great on freeway and dirt, snow is like driving on pavement. Every day I get in it I feel that I must have hit the lottery. The driving experience is way more than I deserve.

If you’ve heard about the horrible satellite reception, that is true. An imaginary bird flying over the truck will cause pause in whatever you’re listening to (acquiring signal) . Other than that, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. And I mean that. Zero issues.

While I understand that I only have 5000 miles on the truck, others have complained about having to replace the brake rotors at or around 15K. There are many differing opinions on this but my thoughts are that this is way too low a (mileage number) to be replacing rotors. Pads yes but not rotors. From what I’ve read, a pad/rotor replacement on an LR4 will set you back between $800 and $1200 USD .

The first service is free (within a year of purchase) this does not include the brakes unfortunately. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

The Jag engine is probably the highlight to my purchase. I don’t know how to phrase it other than the thing is wicked fast. I’ve had a few SUVs in the past and this one is hands down the fastest. Putting it into “sport” mode makes it even more so although you’ll be appalled at the MPG doing so. Then again, once you try it you might not care.

The NAV system could be better but it’s not too tough to adapt to it. iPod/iPhone integration works really well. Originally there were quite a few glitches but the latest version of the iPhone OS appears to have eradicated most of them.

My opinion is just that, mine. But at the start of every day I count myself lucky to be able to drive this truck. Am I a fan? Absolutely. I hope you are lucky enough to become one too.

Thanks for hanging in there for this rather long rant and I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying an LR4.

Marty

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some folks visit this site trying to get some info on the LR4 as they might be on the fence if they should pick one up or not.

As a Noob my biggest concern was reliability. Let’s face it, if you don’t own one, the only thing you hear from all your friends is how they spend more time in the shop than on the road.

I think the reliability issues have been somewhat addressed ever since Tata motors picked up the line. In any event, it’s hard to argue that they haven’t done a better job than Ford.

I picked up my 2011 Nara Bronze HSE on Aril 16th of this year.
Since then, I’ve added almost 5000 miles to it. It’s been in a snowstorm and off road (although nothing serious). Two weeks ago I ran it through a huge mud puddle and haven’t been able to bring myself to wash it. I know it’s probably bad for the paint, the truth is, I just don’t care. It looks better with mud all over it.

The truck is everything you would have imagined. Great on freeway and dirt, snow is like driving on pavement. Every day I get in it I feel that I must have hit the lottery. The driving experience is way more than I deserve.

If you’ve heard about the horrible satellite reception, that is true. An imaginary bird flying over the truck will cause pause in whatever you’re listening to (acquiring signal) . Other than that, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. And I mean that. Zero issues.

While I understand that I only have 5000 miles on the truck, others have complained about having to replace the brake rotors at or around 15K. There are many differing opinions on this but my thoughts are that this is way too low a (mileage number) to be replacing rotors. Pads yes but not rotors. From what I’ve read, a pad/rotor replacement on an LR4 will set you back between $800 and $1200 USD .

The first service is free (within a year of purchase) this does not include the brakes unfortunately. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

The Jag engine is probably the highlight to my purchase. I don’t know how to phrase it other than the thing is wicked fast. I’ve had a few SUVs in the past and this one is hands down the fastest. Putting it into “sport” mode makes it even more so although you’ll be appalled at the MPG doing so. Then again, once you try it you might not care.

The NAV system could be better but it’s not too tough to adapt to it. iPod/iPhone integration works really well. Originally there were quite a few glitches but the latest version of the iPhone OS appears to have eradicated most of them.

My opinion is just that, mine. But at the start of every day I count myself lucky to be able to drive this truck. Am I a fan? Absolutely. I hope you are lucky enough to become one too.

Thanks for hanging in there for this rather long rant and I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying an LR4.

Marty

I agree with MArty 100%.
I have Almost 18,000 miles on mine and had no issues what so ever. I hope this continues. The only annoyance to me is when I drive through rain and minor water puddles the resulting splash from the wheels kicks up to the windsheid resulting is zero visibility, even when the wipers are going full speed. In my previous and current other vehicles, the splash goes sideways and away from the car and no where near the windsheild. No other complaints.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great review, Marty!

I agree with all your comments. I also have a 2011 LR4 HSE in Nara Bronze and I love it. I traded in my 2009 ML350 and could not be happier. Now, there are a few quirks like you discussed, but I am very happy with the truck. Honestly, Land Rover is a very interesting brand, as the heritage and quirkiness / uniqueness are why people are drawn to the brand.

Like baobay, I can think of a few things I would change, but overall it's a great truck that is truly capable in all environments and conditions. Before buying my LR4 in February, I looked at various other options and just could not bring myself to get anything else.

I will admit, I am nervous about potential issues and everything that is discussed here, but in the end, I would not change my choice. Though, I will say, I love my color (Nara Bronze), but I always get envy when I see other colors. Hehe!

Thanks again for the great review - very well said!

-David

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great review! I agree we have 7500 miles have had to have a defective Tire Pressure Sensor replaced but no real issues. I was surprised at the cost of an oil change, if your coming from a domestic or japanese vehicle to find out your oil filter is going to be $40 and you need 9 quarts of synthetic is pretty breathtaking, I understand this is common with European cars, so yes the maintenance is more expensive, but the car has no peers in the US. It's an almost magical mixture of functionality and luxury. The third row seat has plenty of room (unlike others) cargo space is great, it's awesome off-road, it tows admirably and yet it the interior is extremely comfortable. We went on a 10 day vacation pulling our travel trailer through the southern US and no matter how long I drove I never got tired or uncomfortable!

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have 7500 miles have had to have a defective Tire Pressure Sensor replaced.
DonMitsu -- can you explain what were the symptoms that led to your Tire Pressure Sensor to be replaced? I periodically get the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault" message on my info screen, so just wondering if replacing the Tire Pressure Sensor would solve my problem too.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a nice review. I remember about this time last year we had a large thread about all the great things the LR4 offered and what concerns we had moving forward. It really is about the same if you read them. The only exception being that last year, everyone was hot over the camera issue. This year most of those issues have been resolved.

Rob

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DonMitsu -- can you explain what were the symptoms that led to your Tire Pressure Sensor to be replaced? I periodically get the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault" message on my info screen, so just wondering if replacing the Tire Pressure Sensor would solve my problem too.

The TPMS light would not go off and the info screen suggested that I check my tire pressure but the tire pressure was correct (36 psi front 42 psi rear)

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm figuring after 7500 miles I should update this.

Other than somewhat crappy satellite reception and a few problems listening to music on my iPhone, I've had no issues at all with the truck.

One other thing though and I might just be paranoid but I feel that every other Prius owner is trying to hit me.....

Marty

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm figuring after 7500 miles I should update this.

Other than somewhat crappy satellite reception and a few problems listening to music on my iPhone, I've had no issues at all with the truck.

One other thing though and I might just be paranoid but I feel that every other Prius owner is trying to hit me.....

Marty

I don't think it would be a smart idea on their part to hit an LR4!!! I don't think they will come out of it doing too well....We all saw the pics in a previous thread when a Nissan slammed into an LR4....

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10,000 miles only issue has been TPMS sensors (2) both replaced under warranty

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo