LR3 vs Gwagen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying one of the 2 above and am looking for input. I am mostly concerned with general off road capability, light/med technical trails, and limited expedition capability (read as long weekends, not months). Eventually I’ll throw in a trailer for more storage, but storage is important. The truck also has to be my DD, so can’t be too mod’d—which will not have the coveted WAF.

As far as I can tell,

Both are highly capable, expensive to maintain, good vehicles, not the most reliable, tons of die hard fans, and not a lot of aftermarket.

The 07/08 LR3 with heavy duty, “seems” more reliable than previous years, is a lot more hi-tech, has better traction capabilities, better ride, better departure angle, better water fording, clearance and storage.

The 04 Gwagen seems a more reliable vehicle than the LR3 and better than 02/03 Gs, has the 3 locking diffs, better approach angle, very solid build, more along the lines of the Classic RRs in tech (which is good and bad), more mods could be done due to solid axles, can be lifted, and….

What am I missing???

You all have far more familiarity than I do with these and would like honest and valid opinions. Appreciate the help!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
For off roading I would always go for 3 locking Diff's rather than 1 or 2... I own a D1 and would love to own the right G-Wagon... but dang cost and fuel economy are not very good for the G-Wagon.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would love to own the right G-Wagon... but dang cost and fuel economy are not very good for the G-Wagon.

Yeah, these things aren't cheap!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a lot more to consider than just 3 locking diffs. You have done a lot of homework...but you have to also determine things like wheel travel (front & rear) and sideslope/grade capability. Then there is gear ratio. I like the LR3's crawl ratio. It's no Rubi or H3, but it's still the lowest-gear rig I've ever ridden in.

As for the front locker....it's cool but how often are you really gonna use it? ...can't really steer when it's engaged, and as advanced as the LR3's traction control is, I really doubt it's all that much of an advantage. All things the same, then yeah maybe the front locker is a difference maker; but any of those things above are probably more important than the locker, especially the gear (crawl) ratio.

All that said....BOTH rigs are very capable and would be fun to own. I drove 2 G-wagons before I bought the LR3. They were compelling and it was the only other rig to really come close to making me change my mind...and believe me I drove many many 4x4s in that timeframe.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. You raise a couple of questions,

Why didn't the G500 change your mind?
Am I off on my assumptions?
What is the wheel travel of the G500? They don't have a lot of info on their website...which bothers me for a couple of reasons: data hound and seems they don't care.

There is a lot more to consider than just 3 locking diffs. You have done a lot of homework...but you have to also determine things like wheel travel (front & rear) and sideslope/grade capability. Then there is gear ratio. I like the LR3's crawl ratio. It's no Rubi or H3, but it's still the lowest-gear rig I've ever ridden in.

As for the front locker....it's cool but how often are you really gonna use it? ...can't really steer when it's engaged, and as advanced as the LR3's traction control is, I really doubt it's all that much of an advantage. All things the same, then yeah maybe the front locker is a difference maker; but any of those things above are probably more important than the locker, especially the gear (crawl) ratio.

All that said....BOTH rigs are very capable and would be fun to own. I drove 2 G-wagons before I bought the LR3. They were compelling and it was the only other rig to really come close to making me change my mind...and believe me I drove many many 4x4s in that timeframe.

Deutsch100

Reaction score
We are currently on our 3rd G-Class (2003 G500, 2005 G55 AMG and 2008 G55 AMG). They are generally great cars. Ride is very harsh (but that does not matter off road). The design is now 30 years old, and a big Achilles heal are the power windows. The car was never designed for power windows originally, so plan on heading to the dealer 3-6 times a year from new motors, window tracks, etc.. Gas milage is atrocious, but consistent. Plan on 12mpg highway & city. Does not need brakes as often as Land Rover, and there are actually minimal electrical gremlins. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the wheel travel of the G500. I also don't know the crawl ratio, despite trying to find it. Information is sparse....but based on their history I'm sure they are durable and capable.

The G500 didn't change my mind for the following reasons:

1. It was going to be a used G-wagon vs. a brand new LR3 HSE.
2. The G-wagon was not a nice drive; this was going to be my daily driver.
3. I have wanted a Rover since I was 14.
4. The G-wagon would not fit in my parking garage. The LR3 only does so in Access Height.

I noticed your posts on other boards; I don't think that you are getting bad advice, but it's certainly diverse. A lot of people on some of the other boards are really into the old school trek across the desert/jungle for 2 weeks sort of thing and only an all-mechanical or nearly-all-mechanical rig would suit them. Still even more people either have not seen the LR3 on the trail or have not taken their own LR3 out on the trail. I have...it is virtually unstoppable.

I have an HSE; I put skid plates on it, got the 2" quasi-lift using the sensor mod, and slapped some 32" Goodyear MT/Rs on it. With that set-up I make everything look easy.

...but 'wheelin a G-wagon would be really fun, too. I can't knock 'em. They are really nice and have an awesome drivetrain.

At least you know you can't go wrong either way!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well played, RN. That was funny...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635