LR3 verses Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. As all of you know I love my LR3 and have loved every moment of owning it. I am considering trading it in on a Range Rover. I need some input. Is it worth it? Pros and Cons needed and any knowledge of how comparable the two are offroad. Cheers! - Michael

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very comparable off road, almost the same truck...personally i think the range is too "fancy" and kinda ugly actually. But whatever floats your boat, it's your coin. Not sure but i think the range still doesn't have fold flat rear seats does it? That's something I really like about the LR3.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3, seems more practical. JMO.

But really, you can't go wrong with either.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off road and on I would go rr. I have had a few rr and they are the best 4x4 by far. I needed more seating and went to the lr3. I took my rr off-raod all the time they really are two different vehicles. I never liked to beat my rr off rocks and trees but for the lr3 seems like right of passage. My lr3 now has sliders, ladder, rack, BFG TAKO and was really never made for driving pleasure. Go with what suits you best. You cant go wrong either way.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with yrbender, the FFRR is more capable and has a smoother ride. The suspension is amazing, like no other 4x4. However, with the brushbar, sidesteps and non-painted bumpers I could drive through brush with no worries in the LR3. The LR3 is also noticeably narrower on tight trails. I also loved being able to stick my surfboard straight down the middle with only the center seat lowered.

I've been very impressed with my test-drives of the LR4, and think it is now very close to the FFRR in driving feel. That is my target once I grow-up and give the GTS back.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a lil comparison thread on off road capability we had going for a while:

LR3/LR4 or the Range Rover off road

The Range is definitely going to be a better road vehicle, and the LR3 more practical. It really does comes down to your lifestyle. I personally think the FFRR is a gorgeous truck. So gorgeous in fact, I couldn't bring myself to scratch it up (or get it nice and muddy in those swamps you have down there in LA :biggrin:). But the LR3, I feel like its happier dirty and "war torn". Its all up to what you plan to do with your rig at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how they could be all that different. The thread posted above has a lot of technical info and stats. The drivetrain is the same. The Rangie has more clearance, the LR3 more articulation.

No need to state the obvious on the luxury and appointments. Hell if you can really get a Range Rover and wheel it the way you would an LR3 (knowing the price tag) then why are you even asking !?!?!?

Do it! ...and post pics!

Godspeed....

Trynian

Reaction score
Well, I have gone over much more difficult terrain than any modern range rover owner in our Southern Cal Club.

While it has the same capabilty I have yet to see a FFRR go where I have been. Part of it is because they don't have the same level of protection options and part of it is because the owners do not have the @@@@@ to do it.

To be honest mhaise57 I am not sure why you are even asking the question since you don't seem to be very much in to off-road anyway from all the posts you have done here since you signed up with an LR3. I don't think you have to worry about which would be better.

Last edited:

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My reply will be strictly based LR3 vs. RRS on "off-road" use - unless you can purchase an RRS for next to nothing, I would think that the RRS will depreciate at a much higher rate than the LR3 with equal amount of scratches, dents and trophies. Wheeling a 50k LR3 hard is soooooo much easier than an 80k RRS IMO. Selling a "loved" LR3 will have a larger re-sale market than a "loved" RRS. Both should wheel at near identical abilities. More ground clearance or less rear overhang is really a moot point. Are you willing to bash your junk is the real question. .02

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo